In tank fuel pump change

Any war stories from the trenches on how difficult it actually was ??

Reading the shop manual, it looks like a LOT of work !

putting the car on a lift, dropping the rear axle, removing stabilizer bar, remove coil springs, etc. - all this before you can even drop the fuel tank to get at the sender/pump unit.

I have a dead fuel pump in my '88 IROC (confirmed, since I fed it +12 volts directly to it - with not a peep out of it)...

Anyone swap out a in tank fuel pump that has any helpful advice/hints ?

I'm seriously considering just cutting a hole above the sheet metal to get at the pump (vs disassembling the entire rear of the car)...

Reply to
nospam

nospam spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in

I have never done this...

However,even though I don't recommend this route..if you decide to cut a hole above the tank, be careful. Also, there are "doors" available from Jegs, for instance, that can be put in to make it look cleaner.

Of course, I wouldn't go that route for many reasons...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck_N0i

It was a quite a bit of work. It took me 10 hours the first time and around 6 hours the second time. I found that the hardest part was draining the gas out of the tank. I did it on jack stands. Remember to take the exhaust all the way out and drop the axle as low as possible. All in all it is a simple project. I wouldn't cut holes due to the fact that I feel it will impact the integrity of the car, allow fumes in the car, and look like ass if done wrong.

Reply to
Aaron & Beth Darius

Reply to
ross

After reading what all had to be removed to get the tank out, I did exactly that. It now will take well under an hour to replace the pump. Nice. You still have to unbolt the tank straps to lower the tank a bit. This gets it away from the cutting wheel and allows enough clearance to remove the fuel lines.

Disclaimer: Sparks and raw fuel don't mix. Be careful. This will lower the value of a numbers-matching car, which mine is, but it's a daily driver, an '85 Z-28 TPI. This can weaken the structural integrity, although I've had no problems.

I first cut a square hole large enough for the round fuel pump to come up through, but the hard lines going into it required an L-shaped hole, so I cut some more. I only cut the top and sides, leaving the bottom attached, and bent the whole thing toward the front of the car. Then I bent it back, put some inner tube in the crack and secured it with overlapping metal straps and screws.

Here's a pic of the opened hole:

Good luck! KennyH

Horsepower is cheaper than therapy.

Reply to
KHanawalt

I'm about to drop the fuel tank on my '89 IROC. I already took the muffler and tailpipes off (10 minutes). I'm gonna syphon the fuel from the tank with a vacuum pump. Yes the manual says remove entire rear axle assembly, but from what I can tell thats not accurate. Filler neck, heat shield, and part of the suspension(that funny looking cross piece ladder bar thing behind the axle) should complete the project. Just support the car with jack stands and let the axle hang low. Should slide right out. Holes suck! But keep in mind I haven't actually done this yet.

Reply to
DragRacerJeremy

I have and you can do it with out removing the axle but its no fun get help and I am not talking about wife (unless she bigger than mine)get a friend give him beer after the work is done. The problem comes in with the filler neck it is bent and very hard to get out with the axle in the way then putting it back in. Good luck it can be done learn lot's of new words while doing it

Reply to
ross

I got to do it twice. Takes two men six hours in the garage on jack stands. Buy the good Delco pump, not the auto parts store cheapy, so you won't have to do it twice too. DON'T CUT THE TANK YOU WILL ONLY END UP REPLACING IT TOO!!!!!

The job is a lot of work but it went pretty well. No major problems. Except for the first pump quitting not long after it was put in.... The Cheapy pump stopped working in the middle of the state fair parade. Had to push the car off... Sucked big time.

Gary

Reply to
Mack