Re: OT: Survey: Vintage 3 on the tree vs. 4 on the floor?

My '66 El Camino has a 327 with a 3 on the tree. In my garage sits a

>4-speed that has yet to be identified and has unknown gears... > >Ok, for hot rodders it's no question, and it isn't numbers matching, >originally there was a 6 banger under the hood, so slip in the 4 >speed. > >But it's kind of unusual, and a great deal of people have never seen a >3 on the tree. > >My gas mileage is about 8mpg now... > >What would you do?

You're right that many haven't seen or even know what a shifter on the column is. I don't see any problems keeping it as long as the mechanism is still in good condition. Of course someone is probably in need of your set up for the perfect restoration and you could get a pretty penny for it.

I'd probably still drop the 4 speed in. It's the way I drive, I have a need for a shifter on the floor. Besides it's really difficult to speed shift with a 3 on the tree. The throw is just too long.

...Ron

--

68' RS Camaro 88' Formula Bird

Some are wise and some are otherwise

Reply to
RSCamaro

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:58:57 GMT, RSCamaro puked:

I hadn't thought of that. Good point.

I've gotten ok at it, maybe I should hacksaw about six inches off the lever and screw an 8-ball on it. :)

lab~rat