reluctant windshield wipers

Hi there,

I have a pretty new heavy duty battery in my Camaro. Yet, the windshield wipers seem to starve on electricity, because:

Sometimes, the wipers wont start, only if I switch off radio and lights, they will start. This happens both with stationary engine, but also during full speed on highway.

Other devices seem to get enough juice, as windows go up/down at full speed, even when lowering/closing both windows at the same time.

Do I have to replace my wiper motor, or could it be something else?

Thanks,

Bram Stolk

Reply to
Bram Stolk

Hi there,

I have a pretty new heavy duty battery in my Camaro. Yet, the windshield wipers seem to starve on electricity, because:

Sometimes, the wipers wont start, only if I switch off radio and lights, they will start. This happens both with stationary engine, but also during full speed on highway.

Other devices seem to get enough juice, as windows go up/down at full speed, even when lowering/closing both windows at the same time.

Do I have to replace my wiper motor, or could it be something else?

Thanks,

Bram Stolk

Reply to
Bram Stolk

Check for corrosion on all wires and connectors in and around the wiper motor. Most of the time that is the cause, if you don't find any bad wiring then you'll probably be replacing the wiper motor.

...Ron

--

68' Camaro RS 88' Firebird Formula 00' Mustang GT Vert
Reply to

Another thing you might consider is checking the housing of the wiper motor itself, ESPECIALLY if you've recently had a paint job. I had a "somewhat similar" problem with my power antenna after I had my car painted. Seems that the dealer cracked the housing when they replace the antenna under warranty, but failed to inform me of that. I found out a few years later after getting the car painted, when I replaced it myself, and found the assembly packed with sandblasting sand. NO WONDER it wasn't working right...

If there were any chips or open cracks and you had your car painted, and you know it had been sandblasted, that MAY be something to check into. It should be visible to the naked eye if it is a contributing factor though, so if you can't see an OBVIOUS crack or opening in the housing, you can very likely disregard this possibility.

Reply to
ElectroPig