Does my Cherokee have Quadra-Trac?

Newbie here... I have a 1995 GC Laredo, 6 Cylinder I'm going to change my front and rear differential fluid. I bought

75W-90 gear lube. I'm not sure if my Jeep has limited slip differential so I don't know if I have to add the limited slip additive. I've been told that it won't hurt to add it even if I don't have limited slip differential so I was going to add the additive.

I went to AutoZone and the only limited slip additive was Trans-X Posi- Trac limited slip gear oil additive. After I took it home I noticed that it says on the package 'Not for use in Jeeps with Quadra-Trac or Quadra-Drive'.

I don't know if I have Quadra-Trac. So I shouldn't use this additive? What's a good limited slip additive and where can I get it? And just to confirm...it's ok to add even if I don't have limited slip differential correct?

Thanks alot.

Reply to
Mash

What do your transfer case shifter and shift pattern look like? This information can probably be used to determine which transfer case you have. Since you have the lower cost 6 cylinder engine I am guessing that you have the lower cost Selec-Trac transfer case, but that is only a guess. Is there an owner's manual? That would describe the controls for the different types of transfer case. You can determine if you have limited slip by the appearance of the fluid when you drain it. If limited slip it will be full of clutch material, easy to spot if you have seen it before. The fluid will "smell bad" too, a tell tale sign of limited slip additive.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Limited slip diff is not the same as quadratrack which is the transfer case.

The front diff will never be limited slip, the rear one may be. You just need to check for a round metal tag on the pumpkin that says to use additive.

Reply to
DougW

Go to the Jeep website and click on the "For Owners" link, after poking around a bit, you'll find you can tell them the VIN of your vehicle and they'll email you a complete build sheet showing every detail about the vehicle as it was when it left the factory.

Someone here can give you a more exact link or you can search back through the archives of the group to make it easier to find.

It's a VERY useful bit of information and it will answer the questions you ask.

Reply to
XS11E

Here is a link

half way down the page you will find the message "How to get a build sheet"

where is says: "2. Go to here" click on here and it will bring up the page you want

In the "Briefly describe" box say "I would like a build sheet.

Fill out the form and you will probably have a response in 24-48 hours.

The VIN is the most important thing. You can get it off your registration or the tag on the dash. Hopefully the numbers match.

Merrill

Reply to
merrill

That's great. Thanks for the link. That will be a big help.

So according to info I've found in other discussions on this forum I figured out that I DON"T have a limited slip differential. I jacked up the rear up my Jeep, put it in Neutral and turned one of the wheels. The other wheel turned in the opposite direction, which means I have an open diff.

So I don't have to add the Limited slip gear additive. So as of this minute it doesn't matter if I have Quadra-Trac or not (the additive I bought said not for use in Jeeps with Quadra-Trac). Though I'd still like to know if I have it or not (and what it is anyway) and I'll find out with the answers I've gotten in this forum.

You guys are always a great help.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mash

Reply to
RiverRunner66 via CarKB.com

Here is what to expect when the build sheet email arrives.

Don't worry about details, I live in Canada so I faked it.

Your build sheet should be very accurate. The sheet for my 1991 had several small errors (like 16 inch tires on 15 inch wheels).

Also, in the comments box say: The complete VIN is: 1J4FJ78S8ML......

Merrill

Dear Merrill:

Thank you for contacting the Chrysler Group Customer Assistance Center.

The corporate owner information database will be updated to reflect the name/address change contained in your email. This will allow the post-office to deliver DaimlerChrysler mail to your correct address. Also, if your vehicle is involved in a future factory recall campaign, you will be notified promptly by U.S. mail.

Below is the vehicle options list as you requested, I hope you find this information helpful.

VIN: 1J4FJ78S8-ML573975 Desc: 1991 ? JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT UTILITY 4- DR Leather Trimmed Bucket Seats Charcoal Monotone Paint Limited Decor Group 130 Amp Alternator 500 Amp Maintenance Free Battery 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes Low Back Bucket Seats Reclining Front Seats Rear Folding Seat Floor Carpet Cargo Compartment Carpet Cargo Tie Down Loops MOPAR Third Row Cargo Bins w/o Table Front & Rear Floor Mats Spare Tire Cover Cargo Compartment Cover Full Length Floor Console Overhead Console All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions 4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission Lock-Up Torque Converter Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever Dana M30/181MM Front Axle 3.55 Axle Ratio Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine Sunscreen Glass Tinted Windshield Glass Front Door Tinted Glass Fixed Door Vent Glass Rear Window Defroster Sun Visors w/Illum Vanity Mirrors Left Power Mirror Right Power Mirror Power Mirrors All Vehicles W/Power Mirrors Remote Keyless Entry Air Conditioning Deluxe Insulation Group Instrument Cluster w/Tach 180 KPH Primary Speedometer Digital Clock Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers Rear Window Wiper/Washer Cigar Lighter Power Windows Power Locks Power Front Driver/Passenger Seats STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR Illuminated Entry Headlamps On Warning Chimes Courtesy Lamps Glove Box Lamp Ash Tray Lamp Cigar Lighter Underhood Lamp Cargo Compartment Lamp Headlamp Off Time Delay Halogen Headlamps Daytime Running Headlamps Fog Lamps Security Alarm Body Color Front Bumper Color Rear Bumper w/Step Pads Front Bumper Guards Rear Bumper Guards Front License Plate Bracket Body Color Grille Black Windshield Moldings Upper Door Frame Moldings Belt Moldings Body Color Drip Trough Molding Painted Backlight Moldings Roof Rack Federal Emissions EVAP Control System

20 Gallon Fuel Tank Engine Block Heater Speed Control Dark Silver Metallic Dark Silver Metallic Clear Coat All Radio Equipped Vehicles AM/FM Cassette Radio 6 Speakers Power Antenna Power Rack and Pinion Steering Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel Standard Duty Shock Absorbers Rear Shock Absorbers Tilt Steering Column Compact Spare Tire Inside Mounted Spare Tire P225/75R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires Goodyear Brand Tires 15" Aluminum Wheels All Aluminum Wheels Build To Canada Market Specification Without Billable Fuel Rear Spring Group Iii Payload Rating - 1800# Left Front Spring Group Ix Right Front Spring Group VIII

Thanks again for your email.

Sincerely,

Leslie

Senior Staff Representative Chrysler Group Customer Assistance Center

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information: REFERENCE NUMBER: 15851205 EMAIL CASE NUMBER: 1639612 REPLY LINK:

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

US Customer Service - Jeep Brand Site Brief Description: I would like a build sheet for my vehicle Comments: The complete VIN is: 1J4FJ78S8ML573975

VIN: ML573975 Mileage: 200000 Servicing Dealer:

Title: Mr. First Name: Merrill Middle Initial:

Last Name: MacMillan Address 1: RR2 Address 2:

City: Almonte State: CA Zip: 90028 Email: merrill............. Home Phone: 613...........

Reply to
merrill

While you wait for the Build Shhet - there may be a decal over the driver's visor telling which system you have and notes about it's operation. At least my '98 XJ Command-Track does.

98XJ

Quadra-Trac:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Incorrect.

XS11E

"There are nine systems in all-each precious in their own way." Sounds like a freaking engagement ring.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

All manufacturers have a name for their limited slip, but Jeep also has four wheel drive, and has names for their four wheel drive systems, and "Quadratrack" is the name of a four wheel drive system, not of a limited slip differential.

Some of Jeep's named systems also include limited slip differentials--for example the current "Quadra-Drive" is "Quadra-Trac" with the addition of front and rear electronically controlled limited slip differentials.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not true on the 95, quadra-trac is the transfer case and can come with or without a limited slip rear differential (only). The 95 ZJ was never offered with a locking front diff or with electronic lockers. Learn your facts.

Reply to
DougW

Uh, the quote that you used didn't include one single word that I wrote . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Confusing, isn't it? What DougW quoted was written by RiverRunner66.

I think the attribution problems are caused by a mixture of top posting and the more correct bottom or interleaved posting. It is much easier if everyone would follow basic usenet rules of etiquette or "netiquette" but that's not likely to happen....

If anyone cares, here's a basic primer but it's probably not going to be read by people who NEED to read it and won't be helpful to those like yourself who do follow the rules:

XS11E

Welcome to Usenet.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Did you write anything, Earle? God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I thought so. It was about the nine types of four wheel drive offered in Jeep models, "each one equally precious" or some such, explained on the Jeep web site. (a) It sounds like an engagement ring, and (b) I listened to and watched all the videos, and I don't have the faintest idea of how any of these systems works, more than I did before.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton