'93 Grand Cherokee 5.2 tranny?

Quick question (I hope). Which tranny is in my '93 Grand 5.2L? Some websites say there was one offered, others say that there was two, and others forget the 5.2L altogether. How do I tell the different models apart? It has an NP249 t-case and the old style tranny mount, if that helps.

Reply to
SBlackfoot

There were two. Jeep made several changes early in the 93 year so it's best to check with a dealer. Take your VIN into a dealership and have them print out your build sheet.

There should also be a tag on the side of the transmission case.

Reply to
DougW

The good one is the three speed hydraulic, which is basically equivalent to the old Chrysler Products 727. They spent a lot of time working the bugs out of the newer model four speed electronic with overdrive. If you are lucky, it won't have a locking torque converter in it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Or you can get a build sheet via e-mail through the Jeep Customer Assistance. In the block where you are to put a question just enter "Build Sheet Request"

It will arrive by return e-mail in a few days to a week and look like the example below. As you can see it lists the components built into the vehicle at the factory.

Thank you for your email to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation regarding your 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

According to our records, your vehicle was equipped from the factory with the following:

E7DV Cloth Low-Back Bucket Seats ADC Convenience Group APAS Monotone Paint A24P 4.0L Engine(ERH)/4Spd Auto Trans(DGK BAZS 136 Amp Alternator BC6S 625 Amp Maintenance Free Battery BRYS Anti-Lock 4-Wheel Disc Brakes CACS Low Back Bucket Seats CBWS Highline Door Trim Panel CFNS Rear 60/40 Folding Seat CGUS Child Seat Anchor System-LATCH Ready CG1S Next Gen Multistage Front Air Bags** CKDS Floor Carpet CKNS Cargo Compartment Carpet CKTS Cargo Tie Down Loops CLES Front & Rear Floor Mats CLHS Cargo Trim Panel w/Storage Net CLPS Door Sill Scuff Pads CSCS Cargo Compartment Cover CSRS Passenger Assist Handles CUDP Mini Overhead Console CUFS Full Length Floor Console DGBS All 4-Speed Automatic Transmissions DGK 4-Spd. Automatic 42RE Transmission DHAS Lock-Up Torque Converter DHPS Selec-Trac Full Time 4WD System DJJS Dana 30/186MM Front Axle DMDS 3.55 Axle Ratio DRMS Dana 35C/194MM Rear Axle ERH 4.0L Power Tech I-6 Engine GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass GEGS Deep Tint Sunscreen Glass GEPS Flipper Liftgate Glass GFAS Rear Window Defroster GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror GNVS Sun Visors w/Vanity Mirror GTNS Power Mirrors, Fold-Away GXMP Remote Keyless Entry GXXS Sentry Key Theft Deterrent System HAAS Air Conditioning HGAS Hood Insulation HGDS Deluxe Insulation Group JAYS Instrument Cluster w/Tach JCBS 120 MPH Primary Speedometer JHAS Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers JHBS Rear Window Wiper/Washer JJBS Dual Note Electric Horns JKAS Locking Glove Box JKPS 12V Auxiliary Power Outlet JKYS Power Accessory Delay JPBS Power Locks JPDS Power Windows, Driver One-Touch JPSS Power 6-Way Driver Seat K4AS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR K5AS STRIPE/BADGE/MOLDING/COLOR LACS Illuminated Entry LAGS Warning Chime LAZP Vehicle Information Center LBBS Courtesy Lamps LBCS Glove Box Lamp LBDS Ash Tray Lamp LCES Rear Courtesy/Reading Lamps LDBS Cargo Compartment Lamp LETP Traveler/Mini Trip Computer LMBS Halogen Headlamps LPSS CHMSL Lamp MDAP Front License Plate Bracket MFZS Bright Grille MHAS Black Windshield Moldings MVBS Grand Cherokee Badge MVCS Jeep Badge MWGS Roof Rack MWTS 4X4 Badge NAS 50 State Emissions NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions NFPS 20.5 Gallon Fuel Tank NHMS Speed Control PXR Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat QXRS Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles RBP AM/FM Cass/CD Radio w/Changer Ctrl RCGS 6 Speakers RDDS Fixed Long Mast Antenna SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering SCAS Steering Wheel SDAS Normal Duty Suspension SUAS Tilt Steering Column TBBS Full Size Spare Tire TBLS Inside Mounted Spare Tire TR7P P225/75R16 OWL All Season Tires TZAP Goodyear Brand Tires WDQP 16" Steel Spare Wheel WDS 16X7.0 Forged Aluminum Wheels WLYC All Steel Wheels WLZC All Aluminum Wheels XPFS Protective Coating and Remover YAAS Build To U S Market Specifications YEP Manuf Statement of Origin YGCA 7 Additional Gallons of Gas ZKFP Spring - Left Front ZKYP Spring - Left Rear ZYFP Spring - Right Front ZYYP Spring - Right Rear

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Thank you again for your email.

NOTE: Please do not use the 'Reply' function of your email system. If you have a need to respond to this message, please visit us at our reply form (link provided below). Our system is NOT able to accept any emails at this address.

For any future communications related to this email, please refer to the following information: REFERENCE NUMBER: 1387xxxx Susan Senior Staff Representative DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center

"DougW" wrote in message news:qQ%Mg.10905$JR5.2018@dukeread11...

Reply to
billy ray

Thanks for the advice guys. Believe it or not I already requested the build sheet back when I got the Jeep, I just didn't realize it mentioned the model of tranny. If I am to believe the info I have a 46RH. Of course, according to the build sheet I also have "power rack and pinion steering". Uh yeah...

*rolleyes*
Reply to
SBlackfoot

46RH is a four speed with overdrive transmission.
don't have a pic but if you have the V8 you most likely have the 46RH.
Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III