03 S-10 4.3l Engine - oil leak

Ok so this is the 2nd S-10 I've owned and the 2nd to spring the usual

4.3l engine oil leak (106000 miles) but my question is - where is this leak and how much would it typically cost to get it fixed? I hope to hold on to the truck for a few more years and don't want to be worried about this leak ruining my driveway, garage floor, etc... a buddy at work told me about an additive I can put into the oil to help out - is this a good solution or should I just buck and pay to get it fixed?

thanks!!

Reply to
sjbrown23

I've got 2 S-10s approaching 200K that hold oil until the next change. One of the things I love about them.

Except for the time the wife came home with it rumbling and knocking. What does "Check Gauges" mean? she asks. One of the lines to the remote oil filter worked loose. Filled it up with oil, and its run another 50K since then, no problem. If that's your problem (4x4?), it won't be very expensive.

It'll be worth it; its a rock solid engine.

Reply to
Bruce Porter

Normally the 4.3 doesn't leak oil. They have a problem with the intake gaskets failing due to the materials used in them though. Additives are a waste of time and money. Think of it this way, would you want a doctor to give you a bottle of goop to drink in the event you had a gunshot hole in you? Leaks are caused by mechanical failure of some type. Fix the problem.

The 4.3 is a good engine.

Reply to
Steve W.

honestly, this is the 2nd S-10 I've had (both 4.3l vortec) and both leaked... the other started leaking a little earlier... I'll probably take a look to see if I can get to it, if not just take it to the shop... thanks!

Reply to
sjbrown23

Is it the engine itself OR the oil lines? The oil lines are a problem due to the design of the seals. The later retrofit lines are a bit better but for a leak proof system I make up a set of good lines using aeroquip fittings and drill and tap the factory fitting blocks to fit them. Once installed they don't leak like the factory crimped lines.

Reply to
Steve W.

From what I've heard it may be the cooling lines for the oil... I haven't looked up underneath yet to see...

Reply to
sjbrown23

That would be likely. The factory crimped lines fail at the crimps. You can buy new ones from many parts places for under 100 bucks for the complete set. You can also have new ones made up by stripping and cleaning the factory fitting blocks and having high pressure line crimped on them at a hydraulics shop (NAPA and Carquest also do lines at many locations).

The more common leaking problem is the intake gaskets. When the 4.3 was designed the EPA/OSHA rules forced a change in the material used to make the gaskets and GM altered the way they were torqued as well. Those two items made it darn near impossible for the gaskets to stay in one piece.

Reply to
Steve W.

thanks for the info... I'm not real handy w/ cars and hope it won't be too pricey to take it to a shop...

Reply to
sjbrown23