Steering wheel DIC and radio controls

In the last couple of months, my Z71 '04 Avalanche has had two of the lights burn out on the steering wheel controls...(one on the right side volume toggle and on the left side DIC toggle). How do you remove these from the wheel? I'm assuming the bulbs are not replaceable, are they? Any advice? I shudder to think what a dealer would want to do this fix. Thanks

Reply to
Augustus

I would like to help you, but I don't have a DIC.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

I would like to help you, but I don't have a DIC.

Hank

Reply to
Steve

Hi!

And wait at least an hour--possibly more--just to be on the safe side if you do that.

Or be on the really safe side, and get someone who is skilled at this kind of work. Improper handling of an airbag can and will set it off. And it will hurt you if it goes off while you're handling it.

Unless there is something like a diode to ensure that electricity cannot backfeed from there into the rest of the electrical system, that is not a particularly good idea...even if there wouldn't normally be enough current available to operate the air bag controller, it can and does store electrical energy to operate in the event of electrical system failure in a crash. It could quietly charge itself up (albeit more slowly than usual) and operate on that stored charge.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

William:

You shouldn't comment on subject matter you know nothing about. All of your supposition is clearly unfounded. Technicians routinely use the accessory or cigar lighter receptacle to keep the radio circuit warm in order to retain the radio code.

If you'll think - just for a minute - you'll remember that the cigar lighter has 12V going to it all the time - even if the key is not in the ignition. And the radio (on G.M. vehicles) have the clock keeping time - with the ignition off - which also requires a 12V power source. By supplying an external 12V power source via the cigar lighter or accessory plug, just that curcuit remains active when the battery is disconected from the electrical system.

The accessory circut is completely separate from the airbag circuit - unless some dope has tapped into the wrong power source for an add on accessory in which case, he gets what he deserves!

Reply to
Steve

You're both wrong.

Reply to