"06 Silverado, driveline clunk

Anything out there on drive line clunk in a '06 Silverado, 4X4? Clunks when shifting from drive to reverse. Dry slip yoke? Anything else? Thanks. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

All the time, every time? Or just once in a while? There is always a small amount of play in the driveshaft / rear end assembly. Sometimes very small, sometime a bit more. I'd check the rear u-joint just to be sure. While you're there grab the shaft and see how much back and forth play there is.

Reply to
Augustus

Remember to have the vehicle in neutral when you do this.

Reply to
nonsense

All the time, and it never did it before. It is gradually getting worse. I checked the u-joints the other day, and they were tight. I had my dad hop in and apply the parking brake, while I slid under and listened, I was not able to pin point the clunk, but definitely driveline. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

My educated guess would be play in the ring and pinion differential gears. How many miles?

Reply to
Meat Plow

I forget, maybe 20K on it. Not enough to be a problem anyway. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Well if you have play between the spider and side gears you could be asking for trouble. This can happen if the spider gear thrust washers wear prematurely because you spin the drive wheel a lot on a slippery surface. It's happened to me twice in the past, both vehicles under 40K miles one Dodge, one Chevy. Neither vehicles gave any warning signs except a small clunk when going from drive to reverse and not all the time. All it takes is a loss of traction on the drive wheel then a sudden gain of traction.

Do you have a heavy foot on the gas?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Actually it is my dad's truck, and he drives to match his age, like an old man! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Well my dad drove his 04 Caddy DHS with either his foot nailed to the floor or glued to the floor when he was 79. He passed away and now my 80 yr old mom drives the same way. I won't ride with here not that she isn't a wonderful driver she just wants to get up to the speed limit instantly and the DHS will do it. I know your dad probably drives nice and slow but not all do. Drive around some of the places in Florida like The Villages where lots of older peeps live and prepare to get out of the way or get run over.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Reply to
Steven

I am having the same problem on a '99, but from reverse into drive, with a severe clunk. Am I just needing to replace the ujoint, or are there other things I need to look at while I am down there? The noise is ONLY at the back axle, no where else on the drive line. mine does it every time, just about, but more severe initially engaging drive, or when backing out, then to drive. almost like you shifted out of reverse too soon, and hit the gas for forward while still rolling back.

Reply to
envind