1500 Express van steering link

What is the name of the steering rod that connects the steering box Pitman arm to the steering center link? My shop manual uses the terms

-connecting rod- and -relay rod- but does not point to these items in a diagram.

How difficult is it usually to separate the taper pins on Chevy truck sterering links? I need to replace this steering rod as the ball joint is shot.

Is the special tool J29193 necessary? Why can't I pull the new taper pin in with a nut?

Any there any good sources for replacements except the Chevy dealer?

Any other tips for this job?

thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy

In general it's AKA a "drag link"

I don't know about that van, but it sounds like a pickle fork would work.

Reply to
Ed H.