engine access

How do I get to the engine? I failed my first smog check due to a disconnected air hose at the filter. The mechanic pointed towards it, but I coulnd't see it and it can't be reached by opening the hood. I guess I have to remove the cover between the driver and passenger seats. Will I have to remove the storage bin under the radio/heater controls? Do I need andy special tools to remove and rthen reinstall the cover? I see several plastic buttons. Do I just pry them off to get to screws, or are there screws under the plastic buttons? It's a 1997 Chevy Express Van G1500 with a VorTec V8.

Reply to
William Andersen

I have a 99 1500 Express. All the induction system can be reached from the front of the van. The air filter box is held down by 3 bolts and is attached to the duct that goes to the front of the air meter body by a large hose clamp. The back of the meter body is attached to the intake horn by another duct with hose clamps. I assume one of the clamps has come loose and part of the duct/hose has separated. It's very easy to get at. I find it easier to attach the duct and secure the clamps before bolting down the airfilter box.

If you need to remove the electrical connector just find the retaining clip and use one finger to push it out and forward. The connector will then separate easily.

If you open the hood of the van you can't see the engine at all. It becomes visible if the air filter box and the coolant reservoir are removed and that takes just a couple of minutes.

On my 99 Express removing the engine cover requires removing the storage box. It's held on my 2 nuts at floor level, 2 bolts at the extreme outside top, and 2 other upper nuts that are hidden under the center plastic trim panel that needs to be carefully pried off. Disconnect the electrical connector, lift out the storage bin, pull the center air duct off, then remove the spring/strap cover retainer. The cover can then be lifted back and then rotated top back. There is then just enough room to get it out without removing a seat.

Mine's a Regency conversion. There may be differences for year and outfitter.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Thanks. I'll take a closer look tomorrow. I re read the report and it says air hose at PCV. I can't see anything loose or missing, but there's only about a 2" square clear space above the oil refill tube to view back alongside the engine. I'm not sure removing the box for the air filter and the air intake tube will give me the view I need, or the access, either. I hope so, removing the doghouse sounds easy enough, but will probably take

45 m>> How do I get to the engine?
Reply to
William Andersen