1978 Silverado Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal

1978 Chevy Silverado

A couple of days ago when I started my truck up, I brought the key back from the start position to the run position, but it didn't feel right. Upon trying to turn the key, I find that i cant move it. It's jammed, really bad.

The key is looks like it's been carved and theres barely any definition of teeth left on it, so i figured that the lock cylinder is just worn out after nearly 30 years of constant use. I tried the original and unused spare key thats in perfect shape, but it didn't help.

I bought an ac delco replacement lock cylinder. I've removed the steering wheel, and the lock plate, but I cannot figure out what to do from here. The haynes manual says to insert a thin steel rod into the slot and press to the right and the lock cylinder will release. The problem is, the pictures in the haynes book do not correspond to what I have in my steering column at all. There are slots, but one gives you access to the start rod, and the other is just open, you can just stick a screwdriver in there but it wont touch anything. I've probed all around with screwdrivers without any sucess. I seriously have no idea what to do at this point. I've searched these groups over the last couple of days but havent found anything related to my truck either.

I've taken a picture of the open steering collumn. I'm hoping someone has seen one like this before and can tell me exactly how to get this lock out.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Reply to
scuba-steve

Ok look at your column, at the top just to the left is the lock pin, to its immediate right is where the "contacts" that make the buzzer go off when you leave the key in the ignition goes, further to the right is the top turn signal mounting screw. between them closer to the center that "depressed" rectangle is where you need to push a thin blade screw driver through, its just a thin layer of flashing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Reply to