1987 GMC

just 'get rid of the chip'

hell, you don't need it

while you're at it, get some fuzzy dice for the rear-view mirror, and some curb-feelers, too

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Hi all.....couldn't find a gmc ng so I'm hoping you all can help me out here. I just picked up a 1987 4WD ....she's sweet....I've put some nice pipes on it, and want to add a few more things......my question is..... It has a 350 with 700R tranny...I was wondering about getting some more power out of the engine.....main concern is the computer......can I change the chip? get rid of it ? or what?

TIA...... BWE

Reply to
NorthernKat

If your state has emissions testing, you might want to check out the thread "Failed Emissions". The chip really screws up emissions.

Reply to
Troy

Nope......none here...I live in Northern Michigan

Reply to
NorthernKat

Gary, you crack me up. You should have told him if he didn't have those huge tires on there, he'd have a better final drive ratio.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Thanks alot....kids.....and I'm a "she".

Reply to
NorthernKat

Oh don't get all worked up[ now, we're just playin' around Miss/Ms./Mrs. Kat...............

I'll answer your questions..............

The PROM can be swapped out for a "performance" chip relatively easily, but you'll be sadly disappointed when it changes nothing aside from your bank account balance. They are a waste of money IMHO and as experience has taught.

For some extra horsies at the rear wheels, here's a couple quick things you can do:

1) Headers. Full-length w/ H or X crossover before the cat. Thorley's are nice, Heddman Tork Step's are nice as well. 2) A good, complete tune-up. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Use AC Delco Rapidfire Plugs gapped @ .035. I've found that the TBI 350's run a bit hotter @ 4*BTDC as opposed to the factory spec of TDC. 3) Vortec Iron heads. Cost around $230 a piece and are good for 20-30 HP over crappy stock heads. 4) Vortec Aluminum heads. Cost around $500 a piece and are good for 30-40 HP over stock. 5) Edelbrock MPFI conversion kit for TBI trucks. Uses stock TB (minus injectors) and sensors. Around a grand.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I dropped in a MSD ignition (coil too), K&N filter, custom intake (hated that stupid airbox), and a Hypertech chip, along with a high flow cat, and a flowmaster into my 95 Chevy 2500HD and have been very happy with the results. Oh, and I pass emissions just fine here in Oregon.

Tim B.

Reply to
nobody_special

Well, it sounds like it has more power :)

Reply to
Scott M