Re: Vectra common fault - not starting, air?

> My 99 Vectra 2.0Di has just decided to be a bitch to start after being

>> stood, its often starting straight off then dying, then needing a lot >> of turning over to get going. Once its going its fine, even to stop and >> start again, as long as its still warm. I've read about a bit and the >> general consensis is that there is air getting into the fuel system >> somewhere, > such >> as seals, leak-off pipe etc, then when the diesel is cooling its >> sucking > air > > Leak off pipes from injectors back to pump. *Very* common. Parts ~£16 > from vauxhall- easy DIY replacement with a pair of long nose pliers and > some patience. >

OK, so I'm in even more need of help now... I took this to a friendly local garage, thats pretty trustworthy. He's had all the pipes off and swapped them over for clear pipes to check for air, which there is. He's tried replacing the pipes and its not made any difference. So i guess its not the leak off pipes :(

He's suggested taking it to a guy who has some proper diesel diagnostics software to run some tests, but now I'm wondering if i should just take it to the main dealer...

If its not pipes, I guess it would most likely be seals? But i find it odd that once its running its totally fine, no sputtering at all, drives smooth.

Anybody had any experience with this kind of thing? Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Reply to
Alex

There are a couple of other things that could be causing your problem, both of which I have experienced in the past.

1). A porous fuel filter housing allows air into the system. 2). Injector to cylinder head seals are starting to leak. Replacing these involves removing the camshft, so it is obviously not an easy or quick job!

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

hmm hadnt even thought about the filter housing, is there any easy way i can check this, or is it a case of just swapping it out to try? i had thought of the seals, but wouldnt they cause problems once its going too? I want to try as much as i can before having to arrange getting the seals done, allthough the cambelt could do with replacing so i guess it would kill 2 birds.

Thanks,

Reply to
Alex

Its a chain on the ecotec diesels.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

OK, Im looking stupid... i guess that lasts quite well then :)

Reply to
Alex