1994 S-10

Just bought a 1994 S-10 with a 4.3 automatic about a month ago. It showed about 127000 miles on it. I've been fixing up a few things on it including a tune up. I set the timing on 0 degrees like it showed to do but had no power. I now have it set at about what appears to be about 8 degrees. The power and pick-up is great there. Now comes the question. To get the best gas mileage where is the best setting to have the timing at. Just got back from a trip from out of state and I got 21 MPG. The book shows I should be getting 18 city and 23 highway. What can I do to get better gas mileage. I've not replaced the distributor cap or the rotor button yet, would this help? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Springer

Put in a set of plugs, wires cap and rotor. Make sure the EGR is not plugged with carbon. Make sure the tire pressures are OK and it isn't out of alignment. Then be happy with the mileage you get. The book numbers are under PERFECT conditions in a lab and are not done using actual driving. 21 is good for the 4.3. Did you set the timing using a book? There is a set procedure to follow.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'd say 21 mpg for a 127K mile vehicle that's listed at 23 is great.

Reply to
Meat Plow

To adjust the timing. Open the Right hand door. inside the Cab, under the cowl mat, And Just below the Heater, There is a SMALL tan wire with a connector, Split the connector, Now Set the timing to 0 . Then Reconnect the tan wires ... ALL DONE

My 1989 4.3, 4X4 , automatic tranny, 225,000 miles get 28 mpg HWY 23 city when not in 4 X 4 Mode ( Citgo Gas 87 Octane) ( with Shell Gas 19 city 22 hwy )

tom

on Saturday 22 December 2007 06:39 pm, someone posing as Meat Plow took a rock and etched into the cave:

Bingo!

IIRC, the '94 S-10 trucks had the TBI interface. So if there's any parasitic loss, it might be in there.

One might also look at the fan clutch to see if it is getting aged and needing more power to turn the fan.

Reply to
PerfectReign