1997 Chev S-10 Driveshaft 2WD

I have a question about my 97 S-10s drive shaft. In the rear of the drive shaft behind the Center Bearing there are two joints conjoined, and in front of the yoke on the axle is the same. Inbetween these two is a ball and a socket, what the hell is this called? Someone told me a CV Joint. I replaced one already, but I have another question, what is the proper way to get that round ball off the stud? Carefully cut it off with a torch? Or is there another way?

I also have a question about running 110 octance, it has a 4.3 Liter V6, will 110 racing fuel harm the engine in anyway, will it clean the injectors and vavles?

Comments welcome, I want to fix this vibration before it gets any more worse than it is now.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

U-joints?

If you want to replace a factory u-joint, I'd highly recommend taking the drive shafts to a drivetrain shop. I paid less then $60 to have all 4 removed and new ones put in (I think it was closer to $50). Well worth the money as, yes, factory u-joints need to be heated with a torch and pounded out as they are held in my injected plastic.

Octane rating is a measurement of the gasoline's ability to stop pre-detonation... only. It's nothing else. The octane rating is not a measurement of the gasoline's cleaning ability. If you want to run a cleaning agent through the gasoline system, try Chevron Tecroline.

Reply to
Todd Copeland

Todd, I wasnt refering to the Ujoints, I was refering to the spacer between them. I already replaced mine about a month ago. After you remove the Ujoint there is a ball that goes in side a 2 peice socket that is spring loaded under it with a washer that sits on top of the spring, this allows the two joints to move freely in opposite directions of each other. There is a zert there to grease them but you need a needle. I dont have one but have taken it to shops, and they can never seem to get grease up into them, I am afraid one of them has dried up again. I was told this is something they call a Velocity Joint, and I was also told CV Joint.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Todd, by the way, I have heard to use Chevron from other people. I might give it a try. Chevron isnt in my area, but I see their Techron advertisement at Autozone. I might have to buy a bottle. Thanks

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove