Driveshaft gaiters and MoT

I need to change at least one outer CV joint rubber gaiter on my 106. The easiest way to do it would be to use one of those split gaiters that you place around the joint in place of the old one without disassembling anything (other than the old gaiter) and then close up the split with either adhesive (or screws apparently, though I've never seen one that secures with screws). In fact I have one knocking about in the garage. However a mate of mine swears blind that these split gaiters are not MoT legal - but I can't see anything in the tester's manual that says you have to fail them. I don't see any of them on eBay, which doesn't give me a warm feeling about them. So are they MoT legal or not?

If they're not legal, next question is, are these universal mega-stretchy ones (Fleximax, Eezeefit) OK, the ones that you stretch over the shaft to fit? Looking at the Haynes manual, fitting the 'proper' gaiters is a right bitch of a job, requires stripping the driveshaft down, probably easier to replace the whole shaft seeing as I could get a recon one for 45 quid.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Any experience I have had with the glue together type is that they are s**te. Don't use them. It may last to get an MOT but not much longer and you're back to square one. IIRC Pugs do require the whole driveshaft to be changed as they use a stupid French arrangement to hold the CV joint on. I've never heard of Fleximax or Eezeefit so can't comment. Any info on the web about them?

Reply to
gazzafield

They are MOT legal, but they are useless. By the time you have got some grease onto the cv joint, and the gaiter round, then chances are you will have got grease onto the bit you are supposed to glue, so it wont work.

Also if the old gaiter is split, there is every likelihood that their will bit some grit, and hence damage in the cv joint, so for the sake of £45, you would be better of changing the shaft.

Reply to
SimonJ

The message from "Vim Fuego" contains these words:

Stretchyboots are your friends. They work, they're not always as easy as they might at first appear, but in generaly they're not too bad and they're cheap.

Reply to
Guy King

OK. I never thought they were going to be any good as an engineering solution (a glued-up split on a gaiter that spends its whole life spinning and flexing, yeah, that sounds like a great idea :-) To be honest I'm looking to flog it and would just rather flog it not with a gaiter that's losing grease and a CV joint that might be running dry. But I don't want to be arsed with doing the work to gain access to the end of the driveshaft and do it 'properly', and the split gaiter is sitting there in a box in the garage just begging to be put on - I just didn't want to put it on if it was an actual MoT-illegal item, is all

Fair point. I'll be careful. :-)

No split, just perishing and grease loss from the end. I've done all the obvious checks for joint wear and can't find any.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

They are legal but they are aweful - you'd be lucky to get >6months out of one unless you assemble it in a clean-room environment. The stretch boots work perfectly and cost about =A36 from partco. =A314 for the cone used to slide them over the joint (re-usable) but i used a bit of thick plastic tube sliced to make the cone. Still got two of those onmy car - had them for 24 months now. If the CV is knocking its likely to be beyond repair - ive had little luck cleaning and re-packing them - they go on forever but cause bearing wear etc so i avoid keeping a dead one for long.

I dont know how they assemble them but i was also told you cant strip the CV on a pug 205 so recon is likely your best bet if you dont want to do the stretcher.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Get a stretch boot on there - cheap and wont fail, i promise you.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Clean then whack a load of rubber sealant over them if the cracking isn't too bad.

Reply to
adder1969

Wont stop the loss from the end.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Or £0 if you can obtain a traffic cone and cut it down? :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Itd have to be one of the fairly hefty cones because the boot takes a lot of stretching. It did its best to crush the one we used and that was made from drain-pipe thickness plastic (1.5mm, stiff walls). Smoothed a very thin layer of the CV grease all over it too to make it slide easily.

Coyoteboy

In that case, its not a fail.

Reply to
SimonJ

Friend of mine just got failed on a boot leaking from the shaft end a TINY amount.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

depends on the tester, my one wouldn't

Reply to
mrcheerful

That what I did last year. A recon drive shaft was the same price as 2 gaiters and easier to fit.

Reply to
toad

Think i had bad luck with recon shafts - i had 3 in the space of 2 years from different manufacturers. Eventually opted for an OE and it lasted the remaining 3 years without moaning.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Yes it is, appreciable grease loss is a fail, I checked.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

The message from "Vim Fuego" contains these words:

Where did you check it? The MOT manual doesn't mention it in this lot...

  1. a. an outer constant velocity joint gaiter missing, split or insecurely mounted to its housing b. a drive shaft constant velocity joint excessively worn or insecure c. a drive shaft coupling excessively worn or insecure d. a drive shaft flexible rubber or fabric coupling unit severely cracked or breaking up e. a drive shaft flexible rubber or fabric coupling softened by oil contamination, insecure or fouling any other part of the vehicle

Guy King

You're right, sorry, I'm getting confused, it was the cracked or breaking up of the gaiter I was thinking of (which it is - I would say so anyway). That explains why I was once amazed at a car passing MoT when it was losing grease from the end like a bastard.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

It shouldn't've passed.

  1. a. an outer constant velocity joint gaiter missing, split or insecurely mounted to its housing

That covers leaks from the ends.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong