1998 GMC 2500 Sierra - Tow in D or 3

Hi all -

I typically tow my 7Klb travel trailer with my 4.6 V8, 1999 F-150 Lariat with 6' bed and have no problems. We mostly camp local throughout the season, but once a year take one big trip. My two kids are getting bigger and are getting a bit cramped in the extended cab as the jumper seats in that generation F-150 are kinda stiff, and generally not comfortable for a long (6+hours) rides, although they are fine for local trips. Last year was an 11 hour drive with the F-150 and they are afraid of having to be unfolded out of the back this year. :)

So I am borrowing my Pop's '98 2500 GMC as it has a bigger (and more comfortable) back seat, a cap, 8' bed and will be better for the long trip. The truck is in great shape, only 90K miles and should work out great. It's got the 5.7 V8 and factory tow package and probably will tow much nicer on the open road than my truck anyway.

My question is that on my Ford, it has a OD tow button on the gear stick that locks the tranny out of overdrive, and the manual says to do so. I was reading the GM's and it says you tow with it in drive. The truck has no tow mode button. I tried to dig up some info on the web and found varying posts from GM owners of that generation truck arguing about "3" or "D" - Some insist on "3", others on "D"... My father tows his equally heavy work trailer around with it and says he just uses "D". What do you guys think?

I'm just hunting around here as my last resort before I leave on any last minute opinions/recommendations. I just don't want to owe my father a new tranny and ruin the vacation.

Thanks in advance! :)

Reply to
IYM

Open road, on the level, no headwind - MABEE in drive. Any other conditions - in "3". Too much strain on the OD gearset can cause premature trans failure.

Reply to
clare

Thanks!

I guess I will play it by ear as I drive based on the conditions.

Any reason why the owners manual would tell you to tow in drive then? Just seems strange with the GM's that there are so many varied opinions when asking, while with my Ford it's a definitive "NO - Never - There's a lockout tow button on the stick for a reason" and the owners manual says the same? Is there a major difference in the tranny design (other than obviously ford vs GM) that causes a disagreement? I can't imagine GM stating to tow it in drive so we can make $$ replacing trannys...

Reply to
IYM

I have a 98. Dually diesel. Not much to compare. I use the temp gauge. When it starts to climb, I would go to 3 from D. But again I have towed 12,000lb trailer from Raleigh NC to Birmingham AL in D with no problem. Look at the radiator, how many hosed come out of the side? It should have a set to the transmission. In your long drive, watch the gauge, than adjust the gear.

Reply to
bilz2765

I don't know the specifics of their transmissions but there is very likely a difference in the design. I know on my 92 Ford the bearing that carried the load when it was in OD was a VERY small bearing. I never towed in OD and that bearing was still the thing that wore out and took out the transmission at 112K. So maybe gm puts some decent bearing on their OD units so they can carry the load. If the owner's manual doesn't say not to use D you should be OK using it. Of course, if you are pulling a long steep hill it might still be better to use 3 just to be safe and/or keep the trans fluid temps down.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher