Ford Rangers....

I can fit more material in my dodge spirit

I bought a 2003 f250.. and love it.. full sized is the only sized in my own opinion.

Mercury

Been driving Rangers off and on since '85, go with a full size. For what you give up in mileage, it's well worth it.

Reply to
Terry Mosley

I'm in pretty desperate need of a new pickup so I've kinda been looking at the 93-98 Ford Rangers. How do the rangers generally rate in reliability and all that good stuff? I'll be looking to buy something with less than 85Kmi.

Pete

====================== I've had some experiance with Rangers. Very tough little truck.

Reply to
Scott M

The 4 cylinders will last a long time if the oil is changed regularly, but you get 4 cyl power. The 3.0 V6 are said to be long-lasting also. Watch for difficult shifting with the manual transmissions its a sign the clutch or throwout is going bad.

Reply to
Scott

Dear God! One day I'm going to buy an F-150 extended cab and a Harley Davidson Motorcycle. Now that's American! Can't wait...

Reply to
Eastward Bound

I almost bought an old Ranger last year, but got a sweet deal on an F-150 instead. I have to say, when you need to move something, the full-size bed is great and really necessary. Almost two months ago I bought an old 4x4 Bronco II (the front end is identical to the Rangers of that year) to use for winter. When it comes time to replace these, I'll be sticking with a full-size pickup. I'll probably try out a 4x4 full-size when the F-150 dies, but before that I get another old 4x4 light truck (Jeep Wrangler) when the BII dies.

Basically I'm agreeing with Terry.

-D

Reply to
Derrick 'dman' Hudson

kissmyredwhite&bluebutt.com (Scott) wrote in :

I put almost 100,000 miles on my '94 Ranger XLT, extended cab 4x4, before trading it in on a Sport Trac. It had the 4.0L V-6, 5-speed manual, A/C and AM/FM cassette. In the 6 years that I owned it, I hauled a lot of stuff: fence rails, firewood, cinder blocks and even a 6' Kawai grand piano, all of which it handled effortlessly.

It averaged 21 MPG and, except for two minor recall items early on (and the bi-annual front end alignment that the Twin I-Beam Rangers always needed), never needed ANY repairs. I changed the oil & filter every 4,000 miles, replaced tires, air and fuel filters a couple times -- that's it. When I traded it in, it still ran like new. I only replaced it because it was my wife's vehicle, believe it or not, and she fell in love with the Sport Trac.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

Sounds like I'll be buying a pretty decent truck if I go with a Ranger. I plan on going with a V6 just in case the little bit I do have to haul around in too much for the Ranger I will always be able to use a little trailer. I don't plan on considering an F150 since my business partner has one and I want relatively good gas mileage. The one I'm looking at right now is a 99 and list flex fuel for the fuel type. What exactly is that anyway? Thanks for all your help everyone.

Pete

I've had a bunch of different trucks, a 49 Ford flathead V8, a 1969 Datsun, A 1969 F100 4x4 with a 360 and 4 speed, a 1988 Nissan 4x4 4 cyl 5 speed, a

94 Ranger 4 cyl, a 1989 F250 Lariat with a 460 and presently a 2002 Ranger Edge with the 3.0 and a 5 speed. If you are going to haul big loads or pull trailers, get a full size. If you are going to mount a snow plow, get a full size. however, if you live in the city, carry mostly just a few tools or may be a dirt bike or pull only a bass boat, by the Ranger. It rides well, drives well and parks well. Plus, it's real easy on gas. JMHO
Reply to
Reece Talley