1999 Tahoe Limited performance problems

Over the last 4-6 months my Tahoe has been giving me problems accelerating when I give it a heavy foot. When I hit the gas down anywhere past about 60-75% down it loses acceleration almost like it's being starved of air or gas. I can even hear a pop every now and then out of the exhaust when I gun it and I lose acceleration. When I get on the highway I have to (more recently) let the car build up speed by pushing the gas pedal slightly less than where the car loses acceleration. It's like I'm towing a heavy load behind me almost. The strange thing is that if I'm light on the pedal then it drives around just fine. This weekend I drove to Las Vegas and I had to get in the "Slow Truck Lane" when going up the inclines. I seriously could not go faster than 45 or 50 MPH up the steep elevations. I'll take all the help I can get if any of you have some suggestions? The vehicle has

143,000 miles on it and regular oil changes. Someone in a shop told me that it could be my Mass Air Flow sensor or my air filter but I changed that today and still the same problem. Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Justin

Reply to
theotherjustin

Could be a almost colgged fuel filter....or some kind of fuel starvation. Needs to be looked at....no codes?

Reply to
Augustus

Hi Agustus and thanks for your reply. How would I get the code? The check engine light is not either? I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but I have not had any of the injectors replaced. The engine is pretty much stock and OEM.

Thanks aga> > Over the last 4-6 months my Tahoe has been giving me problems

Reply to
theotherjustin

Hi Augustus and thanks for your reply. How would I get the code? The check engine light is not either? I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not but I have not had any of the injectors replaced. The engine is pretty much stock and OEM.

Thanks aga> > Over the last 4-6 months my Tahoe has been giving me problems

Reply to
theotherjustin

Unless you have a scanner it's easiest to take it in to a mechanic and have them pull any codes and check it out.

Reply to
Augustus

You were absolutely right. After reading your post I dropped my vehicle off to have them replace the fuel filter. Apparently the fuel filter was the original fuel filter!! It was a $59.99 fix! Thanks for the suggestion and the help! I greatly appreciate it.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com...

in to a mechanic and have

Reply to
theotherjustin

You're welcome. The same symptoms happened to me many years ago with a 69 Impala. These had a cigar butt sized filter in the carb housing.

Reply to
Augustus