parking brake travel question - 2004 tahoe z71

Question for tahoe owners and other folks who know their stuff-

I recently bought a 2004 tahoe z71 4wd with 21k miles. The parking brake pedal goes almost all the way to the floor when I press it. The vehicle stays in place when I engage the brake, however I didn't think the parking brake pedal should travel that far. I mentioned this to the dealer I bought it from and they said 'it's normal.'

My 2000 silverado pedal never has had that much travel- about half way down it meets resistance and stops. I thought it should be the same way for a tahoe, given the same underlying chassis and parts. Can some kind soul check out their 04 tahoe's parking brake and get back to me? I just want to make sure everything is up to spec. thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

Normal. The 2002 and up use a spring to apply the cable. You step on the pedal which stretches the spring.

Reply to
Steve W.

Hi!

This could be perfectly normal. Wear on the emergency brakes could affect travel distance, and different vehicles have differing amounts of travel in the pedal.

The most important thing is that the brake will hold the vehicle, especially on an incline.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh