2000 Silverado trailer wiring

Saw a post about the 99 Burb, thought it might help. I have different wire colors.

Truck did not come with the tow hitch, nor female plug for the trailer.

Friend told me last night I do not need the trailer brake controller for the

7pin adapter I am installing. Said it was built in, and the voltage increases on the trailer brake wire, which would increase the trailer brakes. Said it came out on the 2000 year model. The computer 'knows' how much brake to apply.

Not sure I believe that, but he seemed sure of it.

There is a pig-tail underneath that has 6 wires. Previous owner installed the 4 prong connector, and there are two wires left over. A light blue, and a light green. The light blue appears to have a cap, or something that looks like heat shrink that has an end. I assume that would be for the brake. Other info and the 7pin connector says an orange wire should be there for that. I again assume the light green would be the aux 12v supply.

Anybody have any ideas?

Reply to
Bill

From my expereinces with a 7 pin and a 4 pin, this place has been right on:

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode

I have a 2000 Z71 with the tow package and I installed a Tekonsha controller. It took maybe 20 minutes to install and it works great.

Reply to
M Port

Baloney. You need a separate brake controller if you want to use brakes. Only the 2005 and newer Ford Super Dutys come with built-in brake controllers, and those are optional.

The wiring is already in the truck, so if you get something like a Tekonsha Prodigy, you can get a pre-wired cable that plugs into the truck's wiring harness under the dash panel.

Reply to
mkirsch1