2002 S10 Serpetine Belt removal/replacement

The tensioner is spring loaded. As such, you don't need to know much. Just turn it in the direction that "unloads" the tension on the belt. Remove the belt, install the new one and "unload" the tension while installing the new belt. When you release the tensioner, it will apply the correct tension automatically.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Hi:

I need to install a new serpentine belt on my s10.

Can someone tell me the correct procedure for "releasing" the tension on the belt tensioner so I can remove the serpentine belt? Also, what is the correct procedure for "applying" the tensioner back onto the newly installed belt? For releasing the tensioner, don't I turn the tensioner counter-clockwise?

After installing the belt, do I turn the tensioner "clockwise" to apply tension back on?

Do I need a special tool or prybar?

Much Obliged for any help.

Reply to
True Blue

what part of 'spring-loaded' is so difficult to fathom ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Well they say to initially turn it counter-clockwise with a socket to release the tension.

Are you saying that as the belt is installed, continue to turn the nut counter-clockwise to keep the tension "unloaded" and then let it slowly push into the belt after I install it? Don't I need to tighten up the tensioner (ie, clockwise turn on the socket) after it's been installed?

thank you.

Reply to
True Blue

Ok. I get your drift. I'll just do it then. My only point was that if I loosen the nut that holds the tensioner on to relieve the tension, then I must retighten the nut after installing the new belt.

Reply to
True Blue

Damn I'm stupid. Just realized that "nut" in the middle of the tensioner does not actually remove the tensioner. Only acts as a "rotater" of the tensioner. Ok sorry then... My bad.

Reply to
True Blue

Not exactly.. on the piece of metal, where the idler pulley mounts you should find a square opening. Put a 1/2" drive ratchet directly there.

Pull on the ratched and it should move, letting you get the belt off.

Let go. Get the new belt. Snake it around as much as you can.

Pull the ratchet handle again, finish routing the new belt.

Throw the old one in somewhere as a spare.

You don't have to remove the nut that holds the pulley, the pulley, or any of that.

Same idea to change the alternator.. get thebelt loose, change alternator, put new one on, put belt back on.

Reply to
Merlin

thank you Merlin!!!

That makes it crystal clear!!! Much appreciated!!!

Reply to
True Blue