Serpentine belt replacement

99 ply grand voy 3.3 w/ac. I've priced the belt at $26 or so. Nice and cheap. I accidentally sliced through the belt with a tire iron, how you ask (you don't want to know, believe me) anyway, beside the belt over under and around thing that it does, is there anything I should know about ie; pullies coming lose. Is there a specific tension I should worry about having when I'm finished. OR SHOULD I BRING IT TO A GARAGE?? Thank you
Reply to
Tenthumbs

Follow the diagram that is affixed someplace in the engine compartment. I have had the best results slipping the belt under the idler last by releasing tension on the belt . This is done by torquing the tensioner bolt with a box wrench. Make certain that the belt is correctly positioned where it is routed through grooves.

The tensioner spring will maintain the correct belt tension unless, of course, it has failed (frozen). If that happens, you will need to replace the tensioner.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

I don't know if this relates to the OP or not, but sometimes a new belt will be too small to get over all the pulleys even with the tensioner fully compressed. In that case sometimes I will put a socket and breaker bar on the engine crankshaft pulley nut and turn the engine slowly to run the belt onto the last most convenient pulley (usually the biggest and most accessible). Perhaps the OP tore the belt trying to pry it on with that tire iron? :^)

KWS wrote:

Reply to
Bill Putney

Im going to ask anyhow, how did you mess the belt up with a tire iron???

And depending on the mileage you may want to have the tensioner replaced also

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Actually, Bill, I was tempted to do something like that myself. Upon closer examination, I determined that the belt was not correctly centered in one of the pulleys. After aligning it properly, I had enough range in the tensioner adjustment to slip it on.

Ken

Reply to
KWS

Well the mileage is 277,000. Honest miles on motor, third tranie. Runs like a TOP. Oil/filter every 3k, belts and tensioner changed about 1 year ago. Fan assembly, harness and all changed 1 year ago. OK I'll tell...battery light came on and I thought aha alternator! Tried to get the light to go out or blink by tapping the alternator with tire iron...ooops. Then I went and replaced the 6 year battery..BINGO lights out. $60 battery, $26 belt, learn something...priceless. Don't laugh, it's been a long time since I've had to work on my own vehicle. Do you want fries with that?? Thanks for the advice everyone, Ken

Reply to
Tenthumbs

No big deal!! everyone has a story to tell about something they did that was dumb, But most wont admit to it. A lesson learned right?

Reply to
maxpower