I want a big truck! Tundra vs Silverado

Paraphrasing Robocop: "I want a truck. I want a big truck. I want a big truck with 30 MPG!" (Remember the SUX 6000 from that movie?)

My truck needs are different from the average truck owner, I guess. I want to put 4-5 people, camping equipment, whitewater rafts, oars, coolers, etc. into one truck (no trailer due to 55mph speed limit in California) and drive from San Jose to Idaho several times a year.

I'm tired of trucks that get 14 MPG. It's cheaper to fly to Idaho when gas is $3 a gallon, although airlines don't take my raft. ;-)

Why can't Toyota make a big truck with better gas mileage? The Tundra is a disappointment. Despite its .36 coefficient of drag, the Tundra has worse fuel economy, 20 versus 21 highway, than the Chevy Silverado, with .43 coefficient of drag. WTF is Toyota doing with fuel management in that engine, or the transmission?

I don't need a heavy truck, I don't need huge weight capacity, it doesn't have to allow me to sit inside with a 10 gallon cowboy hat. I just want fuel economy better than 21 MPG, and a long bed.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

You want a table saw that makes no noise, in other words.

Large pickups are intended for people who make money with their vehicles (carpenters, masons, landscapers), so the expenses are a normal part of running a business. If you want one, but it doesn't give you back money, then you want the wrong vehicle.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Also might be that the Silverado mileage might be off a bit?

You are NOT , in any vehicle I've every owned anyway, going to get the current EPA ratings.

In my Highlander from Redding to Sacramento and back, I averaged a bit over

20mpg (EPA 18/22) (its an 02). When going to Idaho, I consistently get 22+ with Oregon and NW gasolines. As you go several times/year, why don't you have a equipment in both places and get real fuel efficient vehicle for the trip?

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I'd get the Tundra simply because GM trucks are absolute junk now. They just don't build them as durable as they used to.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The 2WD Silverado with the 4.3 liter V-6 gets 17/21 mpg, with 195 HP @4600 RPM and 260 pound-ft torque @ 2800 RPM.

The 5.3 liter iron block V-8 gets 16/22 MPG, with 315 HP @ 5200 RPM and 338 pound-ft torque @ 4400 RPM.

The Tundra with 5.7 liter V-8 gets 18/20 MPG with 381 HP @ 5600 RPM and 401 pound-ft torque at 3600 RPM. That is a pretty big difference in horsepower and torque.

My guess is that the 2 trucks will get similar fuel economy. The Tundra also has a 6 speed transmission vs. the 4 speed in the Silverado. If EPA highway MPG is important to you, the Silverado's is higher than the Tundra, although the Tundra's EPA city MPG is better than the Tundra's.

You might also want to check out the Tacoma, with 21/27 MPG if the Double Cab's smallish bed is large enough for your needs.

Reply to
Ray O

What is your source for this? As far as I know all vehicles made today last longer than older generations on average. At the very least they don't require as much maintenance and easily last over 100,000 miles.

Reply to
badgolferman

I think the solution is for your truck manufacturers to look at direct injection turbo diesel technology; for the equivalent torque (not HP) you would typically get a diesel engine to give well over 30MPG. As top speed is not all that important (as I understand your highways are restricted to 60MPH?) then most diesel cars/truck/vans top speed of a little over 100Mph shouldn't be a big problem. All apart from the macho aspect of having a car/truck with a massive V8 :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

There is no Tacoma double cab that gets 21/27 MPG. The DC is V6 only, rated @ 19/22.

To the OP: Why not just rent a full size pickup or SUV for your trips? The local Enterprise lots here in CT rent F150 4x4 quad cabs, often with unlimited mileage. The money you save on gas the rest of the year will probably cover the rental.

Reply to
Bonehenge

Buy (or rent) a cargo trailer and a V6 Camry, WBMA ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Good advice, Ray O.

A friend has a Tacoma 2WD access cab, and we got 24 MPG on a trip at high speeds (70 mph) and with it fully loaded. Not bad.

However the back seat is very uncomfortable for one, unbearable for two.

The double cab Tacoma is available with "long" bed, just over 6'. I did not know that. The pictures always show it with a short bed. That one gets 19/22 EPA, or 18/21 with 4WD.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

There are some excellent diesel engines available for full size trucks, the Dodge (Cummins) being the best, and they do offer good fuel economy.

However diesel engines are a very expensive option, and diesel fuel costs quite a bit more in California than gasoline, so I would never save money over the period of ownership.

Also, diesel is very polluting (particulate matter) and noisy.

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

WMBA = World Moustache and Beard Association ?

WMBA = Winnepeg Minor Basketball Association ?

WMBA = Westchester Mountain Bike Affiliation ?

Reply to
Bill Tuthill

Reply to
Enorym

Looks great. Your use of present tense implies it is in showrooms now. Can I buy one TODAY?

Reply to
dh

I pulled up the tsb's on a friends 2004 Chev Tahoe. There must be 50+ of them. I don't think I would consider the Chev trucks .50,000 miles needs a rear U joint. Ron

Reply to
ronbon