2500HD Brake Rotors

Good Morning,

I am the original owner of a 2001 2500HD Silverado that is a Crew Cab, Long Bed and has an 8.1 with the Allison transmission. The truck has just over 26k miles on it and I only use it to tow my family and trailer off to camping trips.

On our last trip I noticed a very slight 'shimmy' in the steering wheel when I applied the brakes. Leading me to believe that the rotor might be a little warped, which in more than likely the result of a faulty trailer brake. (I had to disconnect the trailer brake because of a bad magnet in one of the trailer wheels that locked up)

Anyhow, my question is this: Should I get the rotors turned or purchase new slotted or drilled rotors to better dissipate the heat? If I should purchase new ones, do you have any suggestions?

Many Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Lake Laurashawn

==================== just turn them since they arent that bad hopefully.

Reply to
Scott M

If they are composite rotors, don't even think about turning them. Get new aftermarket 1 piece rotors.

I have no idea if the 2500HD is composite or not. Most factory rotors are though.

I also would not get drilled or slotted rotors. Drilled rotors tend to crack and slotted rotors eat up pads pretty quick too.

Marc

Should I get the rotors turned or

Reply to
Marc

Did you have any front end work done (have wheels removed and replaced) or tires replaced recently? If so the shop could have either overtightened the lugs or tightened them unevenly. Either of these could have warped the rotors. Just a thought.....

Rebel48

Rebel48

As a matter of fact, I did just have the tires rotated. This could very well be the cause as the shop was packed with cars getting flats fixed and I wanted to get the rotated before I left for my trip.

I just hate having to get them turned as the thinner they get the more they will warp.

I think I should look into a new set of rotors, any ideas...?

Reply to
Lake Laurashawn

Is it safe to assume you're getting the trailer brakes fixed before towing the trailer again? If not, I wouldn't get the truck brakes fixed till you get the trailer brakes fixed...

Reply to
Mike Levy

"Lake Laurashawn" wrote

The rotors on these truck have a ton of meat on them. I wouldn't be too concerned about getting them machined. There are a lot of other factors that affect rotor warping more then just a rotor that is 20-30 thou of an inch thinner.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Are the factory rotors two piece composite or a single piece cast?

Marc

Reply to
Marc

The rotors are not composite. I'll resort to getting them turned since it is not that bad.

Yes, I have fixed the trailer brakes. And for those of you who camp in the desert, be careful of blowing sand. One of the cheap rubber inspection covers came off and during the night the wind blew for a few hours. In the process it put about a 1/4 cup of sand in the brake enclosure.

What should the torque be for the lug nuts?

Joe

Reply to
Lake Laurashawn