Corolla rear brake conversion

I'm interested in converting my rear brakes from drums to disks (and maybe upgrading my front disks to larger ones), but don't know where to start. Is this possible? If so, is there a kit that can be purchased?

~DanJ~

Reply to
DanJ

I've got a 94 Corolla, and am interested in converting my rear brakes from drums to disks (and maybe upgrading my front disks to larger ones), but don't know where to start. Is this possible? If so, is there a kit that can be purchased?

~DanJ~

Reply to
DanJ

In a nutshell...not worth it. You'll have to change out a lot of parts, make your own brackets to mount the calipers, possibly have to change the booster and the MC, and most likely the proportioning valve. On a car this old?

Look for rear discs on your next car...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ae86.gts:

Why the hell would you want rear discs on a FWD car? They are a major pain in the ass. Rust, seizure, uneven wear, all sorts of crap. Rear discs are good for Arizona and SoCal, nowhere else.

Drums on the rear are the best way to go. Drums won't give anybody any boners, but they work.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Of course its possible, maybe even desirable. Have a look at

: The site is related to Mitsubishi products, but the same upgrade engineering concepts are relevent to any manufacturer.

You could sum it up by saying that the bigger Celica GT brakes can be adapted to the Corolla. Some assembly and fabrication is required.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

The front brakes do a lot more of the 'heavy lifting' than the rears ever can, since much of the vehicle weight transfers forward on heavy braking.

Unless you plan to go racing (and not just between stoplights) converting the rear brakes to disc is a Whole Lotta Work that's unnecessary. Add too much braking on the rear axle, and the rear wheels just lock up on you. Then there's the big problem of hooking up the parking brakes...

If you do anything, the front brakes are where you should concentrate your efforts. Larger rotors can be done if you go to larger rims, but the better first step would be ventilated rotors and more aggressive brake pads all around on the stock calipers & drums.

Cross-drilled or slotted rotors are mostly for looks. You want the ventilated ones that have two flat braking surfaces with a row of open 'slotted' spaces between them, the cooling air gets blown through the center passage and does actually help to cool the rotor.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman