4.3 liter vortech

hey hows everyone doing i was just wondering are these really good engines, i mean i got one in my 94 chevy s-10 and that thing will haul tail but are they easy to fix up, i just put a cold air intake on it and was wondering what more i could do to it im wanting to get more power out of it should i just drop a bigger engine in and work on that one or fix this one up, i was considering putting a intercooler and mabey a supercharger on it.....and if i do go bout putting another engine in how hard is it? do i take the old one out and drop the new one in or is there more to it that that?

Reply to
Redstorm901

"Redstorm901" wrote: > hey hows everyone doing i was just wondering are these really > good engines, i mean i got one in my 94 chevy s-10 and that > thing will haul tail but are they easy to fix up, i just put a > cold air intake on it and was wondering what more i could do > to it im wanting to get more power out of it should i just > drop a bigger engine in and work on that one or fix this one > up, i was considering putting a intercooler and mabey a > supercharger on it.....and if i do go bout putting another > engine in how hard is it? do i take the old one out and drop > the new one in or is there more to it that that?

What kind of power do you need because a S10 with properly geared axle and a 4.3 can run pretty good. If you feel it is lacking you should be looking at your overall gear ratio and tire size moreso than engine swapping. Gears can make or break a 4x4.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > What kind of power do you need because a S10 with properly > geared axle and a 4.3 can run pretty good. If you feel it is > lacking you should be looking at your overall gear ratio and > tire size moreso than engine swapping. Gears can make or break > a 4x4.

well my truck anit a 4by4 and the tires on it are 205/75/15 i was just lookin to give it more power make it a little faster, are this engines easy to fix up or is it not worth the time

Reply to
Redstorm901

"Redstorm901" wrote: > well my truck anit a 4by4 and the tires on it are 205/75/15 i > was just lookin to give it more power make it a little faster, > are this engines easy to fix up or is it not worth the time

It is a good engine and is based on a 350 block so it warms up well. I suspect your has 3.42 gears in it right now. Slap in some 3.73 or

4.10?s and you will feel a big difference in performance (especailly with 4.10?s) there was a guy here that a while back had a 1500 2wd with 37?s and a 4.3 and was complaining about power. I talked him into intalling some 4.88 gears (because of tire size) and he it now one happy trucker.
Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > It is a good engine and is based on a 350 block so it warms up > well. I suspect your has 3.42 gears in it right now. Slap in > some 3.73 or 4.10's and you will feel a big difference in > performance (especailly with 4.10's) there was a guy here that > a while back had a 1500 2wd with 37's and a 4.3 and was > complaining about power. I talked him into intalling some 4.88 > gears (because of tire size) and he it now one happy trucker.

alright i appericate the help im pretty much sure im gonna be putting those 4.10s gears on it gotta get some pricing first lol but thanks again

Reply to
Redstorm901

"Redstorm901" wrote: > alright i appericate the help im pretty much sure im gonna be > putting those 4.10s gears on it gotta get some pricing first > lol but thanks again

what about 4.11 gears would that be better than 4.10?

Reply to
Redstorm901

"Redstorm901" wrote: > what about 4.11 gears would that be better than 4.10?

That will work just fine. Some of the smaller rearends use 4.11 instead of 4.10. It just means it is likely a 37/9 (ring gear to pinion tooth count) instead of a 41/10 count that is generally used with larger rear axles.

Reply to
SnoMan

"SnoMan" wrote: > That will work just fine. Some of the smaller rearends use > 4.11 instead of 4.10. It just means it is likely a 37/9 (ring > gear to pinion tooth count) instead of a 41/10 count that is > generally used with larger rear axles.

excellent, i should have this done in about 3 to 4 weeks i looked at advance auto parts online last night and the price for some 4.10 gears are about 220 which is way cheaper than i expected so i prob just go head and buy them this week and get my little project started :D :D thanks again man

Reply to
Redstorm901

"Redstorm901" wrote: > excellent, i should have this done in about 3 to 4 weeks i > looked at advance auto parts online last night and the price > for some 4.10 gears are about 220 which is way cheaper than i > expected so i prob just go head and buy them this week and get > my little project started :D :D thanks again man

For what it is worth there are a lot of reputable online places that you can get them even cheaper. You might try "

" for starters or "
" or even "
" to name a few.

Reply to
SnoMan

You're not going to try to install a gearset yourself are you? Rear ends are not to be casually played with (ahem).

Oh and keep in mind that if it's a 4wd truck (I'm not 100% sure what "anit a

4by4" means) you'll need both a set for the rear AND front diffs. Not a fun job up front front...
Reply to
SBlackfoot

also, it's worth noting that the gears at Advanced do NOT come up with setup kits. for the price of the advanced gears, I got gears from Superior, AND a setup kit, had 'em shipped to me in a week, and still had beer money left!

now I just gotta get off me arse and get to it!

Reply to
burntkat

easiest build to do is the oldschool stuff:

pull that sucker out and stroke it. ;) More HP, more torque, and down lower to boot!

Failing that-- a 350 oughta fit reasonably easy. 'Specially if you do a solid front axle swap ;)

Reply to
burntkat

also, before that, make sure the engine is running properly. Without careful attention she could be running pig-rich.

Reply to
burntkat

"burntkat" wrote: > also, before that, make sure the engine is running properly. > Without > careful attention she could be running pig-rich.

i appericate everyones help but i got one more question, how would i go to changing my rear end into posi trac would i have to repalce the rear end with a posi trac one or would certian gears do it lol i anit got no clue

Reply to
Redstorm901

you sure you want to be changing your own gears, rookie? 8)

Reply to
burntkat

"burntkat" wrote: > you sure you want to be changing your own gears, rookie? 8)

well me and my dad were gonna do it but i went ahead and got a mechanic to do it I LOVE IT trucks got a way faster take off its great..........kinda p*d off right now thoughi was racing this boy just messing with him and now he dont wanna pay up hes saying he won god that p*s me off

Reply to
Redstorm901