5.3 vs 6.0

Coming into some money next year and want to tow about 7000lbs.I test drove a 1/2 ton with the 5.3 and it seemed like tons of power.I notice that the new 3/4 ton only comes with 6.0 or larger.Is the 5.3 adequate for my towing needs?If so I may get a used 3/4 with the 5.3 and the better gas mileage.Is the 6.0 that much better? Thanks..Brian

Reply to
Brian Orion

Go big if you can. I had a 5.3 puling 5,000 lbs, on level ground it was OK. Forget about he hills. if your really worried about mileage, go for the drama/Allison. you can pull 7,000 with no issue. Pulling 5,000 up and down hills I average 15.5 mpg, unloaded doing 60 - 65 I get 19 - 20 mpg.

Good luck

Reply to
Dom

I think it depends on how often you tow. I have a 5.3 and regularly pull a

2000# trailer with 6 500# calves in it with no problem. Sets on 65 mph. I imagine the 6.0 is better, but gas mileage is less. Most report around 12 mpg with the 6.0, untrailered. I get 18 mpg on the highway with my 5.3, untrailered. For my use the gas savings are worth the 20 less horsepower.

-John

Reply to
John Banister