700r4 trans problem.

I have a 88 chevy van with the 700r4. Lost second, fourth and reverse and had it rebuilt with the vette servo, more clutches in o/d and an rv converter. Shifts nice and firm and seems to be at the correct speeds, but here is the problem. With light steady throttle, usually around 30-35 mph, the converter will lock and unlock continuously until I either give it more throttle or less. I have also been noticing lately that it shifts into third (maybe also does it in second, can't remember) and immediatly locks the converter which bogs the motor and then unlocks right away. Very annoying to say the least. It went back to the tranny shop twice in the last 8 months.... Once for immediate 1-2-3-4 shift with no downshift, and was fixed. Second time was for what I described above and I was told it could be the governor and was replaced. The problem persists. Anyone have any ideas? It is tough to demonstrate the problem to the trans shop, cause as you know when you try to make something like this happen it just plain doesn't. Suggestions are welcome so I can throw hints to the shop about what to check. Only got 4 months left on the warrenty so I have to get this resolved.

Thanks all.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

first, have the TPS replaced, if that doesn't solve the lock-up shuffle, Transgo SK-700 Jr kit will fix it

the 'locks in 2nd' is one of GM's lesser-inspired ideas, another 'mileage increasing' attempt that backfired (since you get REAL tired and mash the throttle to keep it out of lock-up); the shop will need to change the wiring inside by adding a '3rd clutch switch' in series with the lead going back to the ECM that grounds the solenoid to lock it up

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Goddamn man do you know your shit......................never ceases to amaze me.

Doc

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Reply to
"Doc"

Did you by chance have this trans done in Sioux Falls SD at a shop with the initials J. E.???

Reply to
Shades

Egge did a good overhaul on my T400 years ago, but I've heard their quality is slipping.

Big Chris

Shades wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

He did my TH700 Years ago, and after 3 different ones, plus the original, and each gone through at least twice, and the last one blew miles from nowhere on a cold snowy Feb day when I had all 4 of my Kids(ages 2-12, I put in a TH350 from someone MUCH better and J.E. didn't even have the decency to cut me a break on the adapter(He was the only one around who had them)! THAT, my Friends, was the LAST time I EVER sent ANY money his way! I pray no one else suffers with his work!!!

Reply to
Shades

Nah, I'm in Philadelphia, Pa. A local shop did the overhaul. I called several places about the trans rebuild and was impressed by the knowledge of the person that I spoke with... I am however now questioning my judgement.

Thanks all

Brian

Reply to
Brian

Thanks. I always look forward to reading your replies. They are usually spot on. I verified today and I believe the problem is third gear lockup. To better explain, it locks as soon as it shifts and the immediately unlocks again. This is normal? I had a 1990 van before this one with the

700 and never experienced this. Also about the lockup shuffle, I spent enough money to have the trans redone. I certainly hope I do not need to invest more for the Transgo kit (although I see they are cheap enough). I would think that this would not happen in a new 700? Am i wrong on this one? Do I expect too much? I know my 1990 did not exhibit any of these problems.

I will check the TPS as soon as possible. Hopefully that's it so I can lay the blame on it instead of the trans. I have just looked around on the net for that Transgo kit and seems to me what I describe above to be common? Go figure.

Thanks again,

[...]

Get rid of the 700r4 the one in my truck is number four in as many years, There is a flaw in them I was told bny a tranny shop to get a diifernt od tranny and it would be fine. I have lost 2 4 & R all four times and its going out again. I am gonna end up selling my truck I can;t afford another rebuild.

-- Log

Reply to
Log

oh, BULLSHIT

the 700R4 is fine when built properly

find a shop that knows WTF they're doing

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Agreed! I have one in my S10 behind a 300 hp 350 running bracket racing. Not a great deal of HP but it has made over close to 300 passes maybe more without any problems. Its a street machine as well and does just fine.

Reply to
Gordon

Strange, my 89 700R4 has NEVER locked up converter in 2nd gear in 16 years in any driving conditions. It nay have been possible on the very early models of it but not on the later models or earlier ones that have been upgraded. Mine will lock in 3rd and 4th but it is very smooth and predicable about it and holds no surprizes or induced quirks.

Reply to
SnoMan

so you're saying because YOURS doesn't that none of them do ?

different engine programming, and over 20 different wiring schemes in the pan................yes, some DO lock in '2'

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

TranSurgeon

I have documentation so the shops screwed me and there is a flaw that chevy had a fix for. I did research the shops and was told they were reliable and good shops.. So hey who knows but one should not call someone else a liar when you have no idea what the hell your talking about. Bullshit nah not here I have the truck to prove it.. The one that is in there now is giving me grief but at 1,300 or more for a rebuild it is getting to be a money pit.

-- F@#$%& log

btw nice newsgroup!

Reply to
Log

Mine is a 3/4 truck not an S10

I am happy yours works for you. how much does your truck wiegh? what payload to you put on it? Like I said you may have a good one but everyone I know that owns a 88 chevy like mine is having or has had tranny problems.. total 8 people. Sure they made thousands and I am sure many work fine this is my experience with them. As for this news group. Well after basically calling me a liar I am gone. The people can have their little newsgroup can be asswholes to anyone they want. I was not being rude nor was I not stating fact as I was explained by the last shop to do other work on my truck in Medford/Central Point Oregon. I stand by my choice I am selling it unfortunately because I love the truck other then that. Like I said before calling someone a liar the people accusing should research about the persons experience not there own. Yes I am on Traany #4 and to be honest the last jerk who worked on it turned out to be a flake.

-- Log

Reply to
Log

TS KNOWS what he is talking about. He owns a transmission shop and knows his stuff.

I would say the shops your dealing with don't have a clue WRT rebuilding them properly. What "flaw" are you talking about. And IF the shops you're dealing with know of this "flaw" and have the fix for it, WHY are the same problems showing up? Sounds like they don't have a clue. Think about it for a minute.... Answer is FIND A NEW SHOP.

Reply to
Steve W.

how many 700's have you overhauled ?

I'm into the 'several hundred' range, myself

Reply to
TranSurgeon