351M engine rebuild

Hi. I am looking on some advice as to rebuilding a 351M engine that has been sitting in a late 1970's Cougar XR7 for the last 20+ years. This engine has less than 50,000 kms on it, but it has been sitting and not running for at least 20 years. The best part of the deal is, it won't cost me a cent because its sitting in a car my grandfather used to own. I am thinking of pulling the engine and tranny and doing a complete rebuild of the whole drivetrain to eventually replace the straight six 300 in my 1983 F-150. I haven't checked to see whether it is seized or not, so I'm not really sure how deep of a rebuild I would be getting into. Of course, this rebuild would probably be over the course of a year or two, as I do not have alot of money to do it all at once.

I've done a little bit of research and so far it looks like some of the top end engine parts are compatible with a 351 Cleveland engine. To be honest, I am not looking to build a drag racing machine or anything, it may be a bit more for show and sound, but with a modest amount of HP and torque. But it sounds like it should be fairly easy to get parts for the rebuild. I'm also not completely sure how easy this will bolt up in my truck, but it looks like I have plenty of room for it. It may take a bit of rewiring and ingenuity to get the bugs worked out once its in there. Thankfully, there really isn't much as far as electronics go to the engine thats in there now. I don't imagine the 351M would be any worse.

Any advice or helpful websites to people who have done rebuilds on this engine and/or engine conversions in a similar F-150 truck would be great. Thanks for any input.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

To be honest, Tom, I was thinking all along it was a 351 Windsor engine, until I took a drive on the ATV to get some codes off the VIN plate yesterday. Right on the side of the right hand valve cover gasket, there is an emission sticker that says "Engine Family 351M/400". There is also another sticker right on the front of the engine that says " w 2 HJ436AA 1 2 3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ". I'm not quite sure what that sticker means, I'm sure its some kind of engine code that I've yet to decipher. But other than the two stickers, there are no other markings anywhere on the engine.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

The 351M produces good torque and is a good work horse. The only parts that interchange between the 351C and 351M and Cam, Heads and Oil Pump. I don't know how much of a rebuild you are planning I can tell you if you do a complete rebuild it will get real expense. Bolting it in will take some work, the motor mounts will not match and the transmission mounts will need to be relocated. The trucks stock radiator will have to be replaced. The electronics can be easy to put in just a little rewiring the Ignition Module (I have done it but could not tell you how to right off).

Reply to
doc

Just to give you my two cents worth. The 351M (M stands for modified) is a destroked version of the 400CID engine. To fit that engine into your truck shouldn't be a problem since those trucks came equipped with those engines from the factory. Some minor rewiring, larger radiator, exhaust system etc are fairly minor problems. 351M's came only with a 2V carb/intake manifold. For better torque and horsepower, install a Edelbrock manifold with a matching 4V carb. If your foot is not too heavy, you will even increase your fuel economy.

Reply to
rjtvd