88 1500 differential knock

I have an 88 chevy 1500, 4wd.

It was making some noise when shifting from park to reverse or to drive. It also made a knock when shifting at about 15mph.

I checked the rear u joints and they seemed fine. I brought it to a tranny shop who said it was play between the transfer case and rear differential. With the u joints being okay, I assume it is the rear diff. What would wear to cause the knock? Do i need to replace the entire differential? Would I be better off replace the entire rear end with a used one?

Reply to
Connor

"Connor" wrote

You are taking a big gamble attempting to fix this problem. It's normal for 4x4's to have a fair bit of driveline slack even when new. We see this complaint all the time, and it's really a matter of customer education. You have all sorts of tolerances in the driveline, and when you start "stacking" them all, there can be a lot of play. Just leave it alone. Unless you have lots of money and nothing better to do with it.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I like that answer.