95 Chev Silverado

I have a 95 Silverado that I can't get to turn over. The battery is fully charged and I am getting power down to the starter solenoid as I can feel it trying to engage (clicks) when the key is turned to start. I replaced the starter with a reconditioned one but the problem is still the same. The truck has a 5.7l (350cid) engine. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this condition might be caused by ? I should mention that the starter worked fine right up until it I parked it in the driveway. Any and all suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Reply to
frank sprungala

You MIGHT have corrosion on the positive battery cable/terminal connection. When it happens, turn the key to start, it might click, but the motor does not turn over. Have someone gently wiggle the positive battery terminal while you hold the key in start. Make sure everything (arms-fingers...) is clear of rotating parts. To fix it. Take the positive terminal off of the battery. It has 2 cables attached. One of the cables feeds the starter, the other feeds everything else. Split the rubber boot and separate the terminals and spacer washer. There will likely be a lot of corrosion here. Wire brush everything good and soak in baking soda solution, then wire brush it again. Once you have bright metal, reassemble the terminals, washer, and bolt. Now there are two schools of thought here for what to do next. One says to coat the terminals with vaseline to inhibit corrosion. The other says to coat the terminals with an insulating rubber compound that you can brush on. I have used the vaseline solution with great success. Be carefull around the battery after this, as there is an exposed 12 volt source.

KenG

Reply to
KENG

Thanks Ken, I tried that and low and behold it lit up. You were right, it was a solid mass of white corrosion between the two cables. I cleaned them up and now it is working fine. Thanks again for the help.

Frank

Reply to
frank sprungala

Glad I could help. KenG

Reply to
KENG

Just think of the time and money you would have saved if you had checked the basics before buying a starter?

Not trying to be rude here, just want people to think first, spend money second.

90% of car problems are basics, clean connections, charged battery, etc. While a starter can just up and go bad, they usually as in 98% of the time give some warning before they let loose. Same with batteries.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning