95 Trans Am Transmission Woes!!!

I have a 95 Trans AM v8 automatic 350 and the transmission just went out. I was wondering any and all transmissions that might fit in the car. I don't even mind a downgrade in performance, anything will beat just have first and 2nd gear! Will most any 350 GM tranny fit? Thanks in advance!

Reply to
Kevin

As long as it is a '95-'97 4L60E from a Camaro/Firebird!

Reply to
Big Dav160

The problem with installing a different transmission in a 3rd or 4th gen F body is the torque arm attaches to the tail end of the tranny. There used to be a company that made a torque arm adaptor that attached to the tail end of a TH 350. I have no idea if they are still available. If you can find the adaptor, the TH 350 is an excellent transmission, although you will no longer have overdrive. Also, first gear in a TH 350 is not nearly as low as first gear in the transmission you have now, so you won't have nearly as much get-up-and-go off the line as you are used to. I would recommend you just bite the bullet and repair the transmission that came in the car. Otherwise you will totally kill the resale value of the car. - Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

Would a 4l60(not E) or 700r4 transmission bolt up an run?

Reply to
Kevin

Yes, either of those transmissions would work, but only if they came out of a Camaro or Firebird. Third generation cars were equipped with both of those transmissions, and they use the identical torque arm setup. The torque arm is an important link in your rear suspension. - Gary

Reply to
Gary - KQ6RT

They're all the same transmissions, you just have to take the torque arm bracket and bushings off hte old tranny and put it on the new one... I would look for a 700r4 that came out of a later model than an earlier model. There have been a number of updates to the 700 that have made it a better tranny.

The 700's that come out of trucks will be a little different because the trucks aren't tuned for performance, otherwise it should be the same. I believe some of the accumulator and valve pressure springs are different spring rates and that's part of the control for the shifting.

Good luck,

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang

Bolt up and run? Maybe. The 4L60 uses a throttle cable to control pressure and shift points. The 4L60E does not. I don't remember, but I think '95 and newer do not have the attachment at the throttle body to accept the cable. It might take a '93 throttle body to hook it up. You WILL have to use the '93 cable.

Would it last? Probably not. Certainly it would need some work just like the one that is in your car.

Remember, removing the electronic transmission will turn the check engine light "on". If you require emission testing in your area it will not pass.

Reply to
David McNally