'96 Geo Metro

My friend has a 1996 Geo Metro 5 speed, 1 liter that gets terrible gas mileage and has no power or speed. It has standard wheels and tires We live at 5300 feet asl altitude. The compression is good on all 3 cylinders. His private mechanic has no answer and says the timing is as far advanced as it will go now. Is there some way to replace (or solder then re-drill smaller) the primary jet(s)? . . . Anyone who has experience with these little beasts sure could be of great assistance to my friend. I had a 1993 Geo Metro and got 60 mpg twice in it. At this altitude too.

*** Hoping for assistance...in advance. . . .thanks to 1 and all for your time. . . chas
Reply to
Chas

Chas

I'd be thinking tune up, and the usual air filter and fuel filter. Needs good cap, rotor, spark plug wires, etc.

I got a bad set of spark plug wires, years ago. For my Chevy S-10 pickup, with the smaller V6 engine. 2.8 liter, I think. The wires were three year warranty, so I threw out the wires I had taken out. Mistake. Turns out the new wires were junk, and the vehicle ran terribly. I kept thinking it can't be the wires, they are brand new. But, yes, it was.

May be the timing is off?

.

*** Hoping for assistance...in advance. . . .thanks to 1 and all for your time. . . chas
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

. . .. I don't know how one could adjust the timing as it little beast is computerized. I'm considering that it could be the plugs as most of these sub-compact owners have had much success with the tripple electrode plugs. . . . .Next it could be the overhead cam is off a notch or two on the belt as the cover has been off for some reason. I'll probably check that out before laying cash down for plugs that may not be the solution.. . . .thanks for your reply. 'Stormin. . . . .chas . . . .strange,. . .. (alt.autos.chevie) has only two entries for this year....and I'm one of them.

********************************************************** "Stormin Mormon" Replied -> I'd be thinking tune up, and the usual air filter and fuel filter. Needs good cap, rotor, spark plug wires, etc.
Reply to
Chas

You do not give enough info. And I'm not the one too really help.

How many miles. Did it always run poor , and he bought it that way, or did it run great at one time.

Well, is the timing correct or not? As far as it will go does not mean its correct.

That would be step one for me. Check and see if the timing belt is off a tooth.

Is the cam wiped. I had a Chevy 350 wagon, with a wiped cam. And it ran great with the timing advanced so far , It would barely start when it was hot.

This is a very bad idea.

I had a 3 cylinder one, and it sucked . and you need to do the basics. Timing, fuel, spark.

As in tuneup. With 3 cylinders you need them all.

Reply to
DogDiesel

Not a bad little engine as far as that goes. They are usually good on gas but not very good on power.

Well that is one problem. I think you can get a high altitude kit for them but it might not be easy to find other than in replacement parts.

Where did the car originally sell (lower altitude OR from a local dealer at the same altitude)?

Find a better mechanic. The timing on that engine should be 6 degrees BTDC. You don't adjust it after that. The computer does the rest based on information from the crank position sensor.

The usual problems at high altitude on a stock engine NOT meant for high altitude are - High fuel consumption and lowered power output.

Power output usually runs around 3-4% loss per 1000 feet above MSL just due to the lowered air density So you should be seeing an engine that makes 55-60 HP on it's best day putting out about 45 HP. Fuel mileage should run about mid 30's for city driving. Low-Mid 40's highway.

It has fuel injection so no jet's and no adjustments.

First I would take it to a shop and have them see what the O2 sensors are showing a low output or failed sensor could cause this. So could a failing EGR valve or vacuum leak in the system. Check the actual valve timing , a worn belt or having the valves out of time by a tooth could be causing this as well.

Next a GOOD tune up. New plugs, cap,rotor, wires. Run a can of top cylinder cleaner through it along with injector cleaner. (Change the oil after this to remove any cleaner that made it past the rings) Check the EGR system for problems and check the exhaust for flow. A small blockage or catalytic converter failing could also cause this.

If that all checks out and the ECM shows everything normal as to engine temperature and sensor inputs there is an answer that would correct the power output and give you better mileage. Put a turbocharger on it. The Pontiac version (Firefly) sold in Canada had one but not on an EFI .

I'm betting that you find other problems first though. Oh and your 93 would have had the computer controlled carb with a different head design as well..

Reply to
Steve W.