96 GMC Jimmy engine cut out

Tonight I had the strangest problems with my 96 GMC Jimmy. (Bear with me)

Driving on a very hot day (38*C, 101*F) we drove about 30 KM, I had to slow down for a left turner, I gave the truck some juice, it started to accelerate, then seemed to cough, and then flat-lined. The engine just stopped.

Having experienced this once before, I swore, got out, beat the gas tank with a handy stick, jumped back in and it turned over right away. I hastily turned tail and headed for home.

Clear cut case of a bad pump, right? Read on!

We drove about 10 or 15 minutes and it died once again. To myself I said "That's it! A bang will get it going once, almost never twice." but since I had my wife and 2 of my 3 kids with me, I dutifully got out and banged again. To my amazement, it turned over once more.

3 minutes down the road, it quits yet again. This time I pull over, count to five (no hitting this time) and try cranking again. She starts right up.

This time we made it 25 minutes and were 1/2 block from making it home before it quit yet AGAIN. Once again I counted to 5, turned it over and it started right up.

An hour later we drove it to the bank and back, just to see. Started fine every time.

PLEASE tell me someone has a good idea what this might be. I'm not a mechanic, but am a pretty good hobbist. This has me stumped.

Details:

96 GMC Jimmy SLT 4.3 Liter Vortec V6 344,000 KMs 80,000 (+/-) on the last pump.
Reply to
chris.bremmer

go have the codes read. I know a little about that engine and the fuel pump failing is about due. May not be though. Read the codes, get the scoop and report back.

Reply to
edgar