96 S10 Blazer heater core question........

My 96 S10 Blazer heater core started leaking and fogging up the windows. Anyone have any suggestions as to getting it out for replacement ???? I heard the center dash swings out for access?? Hopefully somebody here has done one and will share his experience.....

Thanks in advance.............

Brian..........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)

Reply to
Brian

don't know about a 96, but in a 93 its a 4-screw, half-hour job...........

dash swings out for

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

The center dash doesn't swing out, the whole dash pivots down after you drop the steering column, remove the bolts at the top near the windshield, remove a brace down low above the tranny hump, and remove the bolts at each lower corner. Once pivoted down, the cover over the center heater housing where the heater core resides can be removed allowing access to the heater core. Labor time is 5.5 hours.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

No the new body style sucks worse than the old...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Neil,

Does the radio and instrument cluster have to come out before the dash can swing down ??? Also, does the top (Crash pad) come off ???

Thanks.............

Brian..........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)

Reply to
Brian

The last one I did that is still somewhat fresh in my memory didn't have a radio (stolen), Mitchell On Demand says to partially pull the A/C-heater control panel and radio to disconnect the connectors on the back of the A/C conrols and radio. I don't see mention nor do I recall ever having to remove the instrument cluster.

Nope, the top attaching bolts are accessed by removing the defroster and speaker grills.

Also, you need to remove the cigarette lighter and/or accessory outlets if equiped.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Neil,

I have everything undone and the column is reasting on the seat. My problem now is the dash tips down only 4 or 5 inch's before it's resting on the column. So, on the top, I can see behind the dash but theres only 4 or 5" , not enough to work behind. I took the radio and AC controls out but theres no access to the heater box from there.......... I think I need to swing the dash more but the culumns in the way.... Any suggestions ???? Your help is much appreciated.........

There is no mix up a sander can't fix up !!! (Al Bundy)

Reply to
Brian

Does this thing have a tilt steering column? Seat all the way back on its tracks? If so, set the tilt at full up, that should angle the column down enough. Otherwise, you might have to drag the passenger side of the dash up off of the pivot pin and move it back towards the seat, be sure to protect anything where the dash might rest with fender covers or old towels-blankets, etc. Or, if not a tilt and you're still stumped for space, you might consider removing the drivers seat to allow the steering colmn to drop more, it's the lessor of two evils versus pulling the steering wheel/column/airbag/clockspring risks. Once positioned, there should be adaquate room to reach over the dashboard and remove the heater core housing cover/heater core. They're a bit of a pain, but a good money maker once you do a few...

I have pictures of the typical nasty heater core jobs for customer show and tell, I'll check the S-10 one when I get to the shop and see if I'm brain-farting anything out of the procedure.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Thanks Neil,

I got the column down and got the cover unscrewed. Their wasn't a whole lotta room so I bit the bullet and finished removing the dash... Hell, it was only a few more wiring plugs......... Now theres loads of room......... Once again the help is much appreciated......................