Heater Core Access

I have a 92 F-150 and I am wondering if one can gain access to the heater core via the dash instead of externally. When I purchased the vehicle it had a pretty consistant coating of dirt throughout the interior. I am wanting to see if the heater core is also covered in dirt which hopefully may explain why the heater does not seemed to put out like it should. I've had the thermostate replaced and the coolent flushed, which did not seem to help the situation. The hoses going in and out of the heater core seem to be heating up okay also.

Reply to
Mike L.

Try removing the glove box door and see if you can't get to it that way. I just sold a '89 Bronco to a freind which had the same problem and that's how he fixed it. It took about two hours and a $22 heater core and worked like new. The only thing he had to do underhood was remove the heater hoses and clamps. FYI, this was an XLT with A/C. Hope this helps and would appreciate knowing how it goes.

Randy

Reply to
rokkinhorse

The only thing 'externally' accessable are the heater-hose connections. First remove the hoses from the connections. The core is accessed from inside the vehicle. Remove the glove-box. Directly behind it you will see a large black plastic 'box' held on by about 8 small screws. This is the heater-core cover. Remove the cover and there it is. If there is a lot of oily-dirt around the cover and on the floor-pan, probably the core is/has leaked, so put down some old rags/whathaveyou to 'catch' whatever may come out. Once you gain access, it's then a simple matter of taking the thing out and installing a new one. Clean the interior of the box. Use new clamps on the heater-hose connections. If the hoses are old, it's smart to replace them now.....

Not a difficult project for a DIR'er.

Hope this helps! Have fun!

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Thanks for this information Dave.

I was able to find the heater core per your instructions. The heater core didn't really have any dirt on it at all.

I left the cover off for my 20 minute drive into work to see how toastie it would get in the truck with blower near max. It is about 57 degrees out and the truck still didn't get that warm inside. But anyway, thanks for your help.

I'll probably end up replacing the heater core if can't find any reason not too.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike L.

No oily-dirt in the core box, is a good thing. At least the core hasn't been leaking. Check the heater hoses for both being the same temp(hot!!). The t-state may be faulty or the wrong one. Good heater operation requires a 190=B0 stat. Your system may have a water-valve between the stat and the core, if so, it may be malfunctioning. You might try disconnecting the hoses to the core and run water from a garden hose into the core to make sure it isn't restricted.....do that to each of the connection pipes. If nothing else, this will flush the core, both ways, of any junk it may have in there. While the hoses are disconnected start the engine and see if you are getting a good flow thru the heater hose. Another thing that should be checked is the radiator cap. If it's faulty, heater temp will be effected. A new cap and stat won't cost much. If the garden hose test shows no restrictions and a good flow thru the core....in both directions....then the problem is with the stat/cap/water-valve, not the core.

Also while the core cover is off, slide the temp selector back/forth and watch the cable on top of the core box to make sure it's functioning. That cable opens/closes the door in the plenum that mixes heated air with cooler air.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt
.

Re: Heater Core Access Group: alt.trucks.ford Date: Mon, Oct 6, 2003, 5:49am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@triwolf.com (Mike=A0L.)

Thanks for this information Dave.

I was able to find the heater core per your instructions. The heater core didn't really have any dirt on it at all.

I left the cover off for my 20 minute drive into work to see how toastie it would get in the truck with blower near max.

It is about 57 degrees out and the truck still didn't get that warm inside. But anyway, thanks for your help.

I'll probably end up replacing the heater core if can't find any reason not too.

--Mike ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mike, how bout this reason not to.......... you said the "hoses" going into AND out of, the heater core seemed to be HOT.

This means the water is flowing "through" the heater core!!!!

Just fer sheeets and giggles......while you still have the cover off......run the truck down the road till the temp gauge moves up, and touch the heater core and see if it's hot. If it is... then it ain't a flow problem.

Sounds more like your problem is in the air flow across the core.

You need to be sure the interchange is working, letting the air actually flow across the heater core. Easy enough with that cover off.

the air prob'ly ain't flowing though......or the truck would be heating up........IF THE HOSES IN AND OUT ARE HOT......and the core itself is hot to the touch.

good luck,

Scrib Abell

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Hello, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help with my heater problem.

This weekend I popped out my heater core, which took a whole 30 minutes or so. I had the core flushed and cleaned by local radiator shop and I replaced the heater hoses. Also I found a pencil lodged under the door that is controled by the hot/cold control knob. The pencil along with a pen and a key and keyring were left by previous owner. The control knob seems to move a lot smoother now. The pencil may have been the big problem, but with everything done and replaced the heater seems to be to be functioning fully.

My rides to work should be a lot warmer this winter.

Thanks again.

--Mike