Heater core questions

I have a '93 SR5 V/6 extra cab 4 X4. 99K miles, w/air cond.

Lately I've noticed the interior windows fog up and I have to turn on the AC to get them cleared, and there is slight smell of coolant inside. To me this sounds like a a leaking heater core. Any tips on getting it removed? It looks like I might have to take part of the dash out to get to it. I have a shop manual but can't find references to the heater core yet, mabe I'm not looking in right section.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Reply to
Frantz Dantzler

Take the entire dash out, evac the AC and remove the entire Ac ass'y, then remove the under dash cross member. Then you "may be able" to remove the heater core. This is without a doubt, the biggest job you could do and not a job for the average sunday tech.

Reply to
MDT Tech®

Geeze - easier to relocate to someplace on the equator!

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the reply. I had pretty much guessed that this may be the case. I'm going to try and see if (by chance) it is leaking at the hose connections at the firewall. Problem is it looks like I may have to remove part of the intake manifold to get to one of them.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Frantz Dantzler

Yes, just about!