99 burb: where's the audio amp?

To the group,

Looking for the location of the audio amplifier that powers my rear 4 speakers as driven from my head unit on my 99 Suburban.

1) Not under the drivers seat (there is an Air Bag control unit there)

2) Not behind the glove box (as referred to on some Tahoes).

Where is it?

Anyone know exactly?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Reply to
Ken H

There are two possibilities:

IF you have the factory subwoofer in the center console >> Beneath the center console.

If no factory subwoofer, the amp is located inside the driver's side dash.

David UnderTheDash.com

Reply to
David

Bobo,

Youare the man.

So close I can feel it.....

The rear 4 speakers are definitely powered by the amp.

I remember because when I replaced the Head Unit, I initially failed to hook up the blue remote amp lead, thinking I did not need it.

Wrong....There was no sound coming from the 4 rear speakers (rear doors and cargo area 4x10 overheads).

Hooked up the blue lead and realized two things (1) there was an amp somewhere (2) It powered the rear 4 speakers.

Now I want (need) to find the amp. Got some small improvements in mind....

Any 4 speaker amp diagrams? and/or location options.

I cant't attack the dash to confirm until this weekend..

Thanks,

Ken

Bobo wrote:

Reply to
Ken H

You have the wire to the amp, but can't find the amp? Is the rat's nest behind your dash really THAT bad, that you can't follow it? I know I've had some trouble with my 1990 GMC Jimmy (full sized) as to finding where wires go, but in the end I have been able to with some time & a flash light. Good luck with following it, or finding it according to Bobo (never seen him steer anyone wrong).

~TLGM

Reply to
Lonely G-Monkey

Thanks for all your help Bobo.