Brake Wear

If the mechanic tells me I have 9/32 left on the front brakes and 11/32 left on the rear brakes, can I convert those numbers to a per centage? Answers would be 28% and 34%

Now with those per centages left for brakes, is it safe for me to assume I have maybe 5000-10,000 miles left before I need to replace brakes? Depending on driving conditions of course. With all my driving being city, I'm betting I would be lucky to get about 5000 more miles.

Thank you very much,

charles

Reply to
Charles

thick your theory would work, but they arent even close to that! To use your method you would need to know the thickness of them when new....and calculate from that.

Reply to
Scott M

nope... they're fractions of an inch.

again... no.

my front pads (88 K2500) had approximately 3/8" of pad when they were brand new. 3/8" is 12/32... so you've got more like 75% of your pads left. my rear shoes had more like 1/4" of pad on them (8/32). I'm assuming you've got rear disks and you had 12/32" of pad when brand new. if so... your rear pads are barely worn. you've got a hell of alot more than 5k work of brakes left. if you don't.... stop standing on the f***ing brake pedal.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Wouldn't it be easier just to LOOK at them every now and then?? Jeeeeezzzeee.....

Reply to
Steve Barker

Now that would make too much sense Steve. Tires should be rotated every

4-5k, what a great opportunity to check the brake pads/shoes regularly!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Reply to
sidewinder

I rotate mine every oil change and my tires last damned near forever. Got

75k on my last set of Firehawk SS's, have 30k on my Bridgestone AT/KO's and no sign of wear so far.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

don't you mean BFGoodrich? :)