99 Chevy 4WD Battery Warning Light- System checks ok?

For those of you following an earlier thread which, I can no longer update.... I had a problem with a my 99 Silverado pickup, where the Battery Warning light would come on from time to time and only a few seconds at a time. This was after the alternator was replaced as a PM measure as the truck had 80k and I was going on a long trip. The instrument panel voltmeter still was showing 14.5 or so volts all the time the warning light was on. I replaced a 3 year old battery because a GM service tech told me that was all he could find wrong. Needless to say it did not solve the problem, he also told me he could not pull any codes.

So after weeks of putting up with the problem I went to a GM service center who had the proper ($3,700) scan tool, he told me I had a Alternator "L" wire fault showing. After about two weeks, and putting a monitor wire inside the truck cab so I could read the "L" wire going to the PCM on the road and underload with a DVM, I found the new AutoZone alternator to have a defective electronic circuit that switched (grounds) the "L": wire (on a fault), but the alternator tested fine. AZ replaced it under warranty, and after 700 plus road miles the Battery Warning light is no longer a problem. Thanks again to all those who replied to my other message.

Reply to
MachineShop

Yep, sometimes that expensive tool is a very handy item..

Reply to
Steve W.

Think of all the aggravation that would have been eliminated by purchasing a quality part from a reputable supplier on the first go round.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

: ) The last NAPA (Gold) part I ordered and installed which was a starter for my 88 Chevy truck, has a similar horror story, and I've heard about other problems from those who have purchased GM parts. My preferred parts supplier was out of stock and had just switched re-builders. Since I was a former air craft electrician I replace before it fails on the road and try to purchase quality parts... So who do you trust?

Reply to
MachineShop

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

it gets hard these days. When I paid the bills turning wrenches, napa was ok for front end parts, brake parts except master cylinders, never for water pumps. I had a AC Delco suppler we used for Air Conditioning parts, alts and starters, as well as sensors and tune up parts. Western Auto was a fav for Alts and starters when customer couldn't afford the better parts, and also brake parts as they carried Rybestos, but alas Sears gutted that out fit, turned it into a parts house and now its been bought by Advanced Auto parts, which isn't much better than Auto Zone. AutoZone is the Wal-Mart of auto parts and the quality of what they sell unless name branded is about the same as wally world. Everything made in china. Brake rotors and drums stored on edge, even though the box is clearly marked don't store on edge. I look for a supplier with a booming commercial business supplying the best of the your local repair shops. Auto Zone has some commercial, but it seems to be the shops barely a step above shade tree most of the time. I worked for AZ for about 18 months, when my health went sour 6 years ago and ruled out being a mechanic or truck driver any more, while I learned a new vocation. The place re-enforced my belief that the general American public is the most ignorant consumer in the world, with an eye on price and nothing else. Doesn't bother them that they might have to buy some thing three times and end up paying twice as much in the long run, just that it was cheap. which explains Yugos, Mitsubishis, Hyundai's, Nissan(now owned by the French). Nor do they take into their account the time lost broke down and changing a part three or four times, who cares it was cheap and it has a life time warranty.(I know that was not your case) I'll get off my soap box now. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Wow thanks for the great reply! Years ago when I was on the Aero Space Team --- US Air Force we rebuilt aircraft alternators, generators and the like in the shop, more or less between calls to the flight line. We never cut corners, because we knew someone could die if we did. I now treat my car, truck and motorcycle & etc the same way, and try to buy the best I can find. As you pointed out however it is getting harder and harder to find reliable and good parts. Anyone else?? BG

Reply to
MachineShop