S10 Brake Problem

My father's 1998 S10 4x4 has a brake problem. The ABS dash light came on and the rear brakes locked up on him today and got so hot that both rear calipers melted their seals and boiled out all the brake fluid. My gut feeling is that there is a problem with the proportioning valve or the abs computer, but I'm not sure. He is going to get new calipers and try to reuse his glazed brake pads (much to my chagrin), but he just put them on he says. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem? How can I test it? We're going to reset the computer and put the new calipers on in the morning, but I don't think this will fix the problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

.... and I'd like to find out, too! My son's 98 2WD S10 is doing close to the same thing - brakes seize up unexpectedly at strange times. We've checked everything to death outside of the ABS. Of course, no one will so much as sell you a code reader which displays brake system codes, because of liability issues. Very frustrating.

- Larry A.

Reply to
Larry A.

Reply to
JBDragon

Thanks for the tip, we'll give that a shot.

Reply to
Larry A.