'99 Suburban, 5.7, oil leak

My '99 Burb, with the 5.7 liter V8 and 52k miles, has developed an oil leak from the rear of the engine, on the passenger side. The dealer replaced the valve cover gaskets on both sides (it was under warranty) in an attempt to fix it, but it looks like it's still there.

I can't see anything from the topside, but from underneath I can see a thin oil track running down the seam where the tranny meets the engine block. It definitely starts above the crank centerline, but its origin is lost in the darkness above.

The truck is going back to the dealer next week, but I thought maybe the Group might have an answer or suggestion.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Ed

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote

It will either be the intake manifold gasket (highly likely), or the oil pressure sending unit (not as likely)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks, I'll convey those suggestions to the guy at the service department.

Reply to
Ed

Just a note to confirm your hypothesis. The dealer replaced the intake manifold gaskets and the leak has stopped...for now.

At least it was under warranty...

Thanks...

Reply to
Ed

"Ed" wrote

Thanks for getting back to the newsgroup. If you keep the truck for any length of time, you will probably end up changing the intake gaskets again.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai