Occasional hard starting, "99 Suburban 5.7

Hello Group,

Once again I request the wisdom of the automotive sages! My 99 'Burb 1500, a

5.7L with 54k miles, has recently developed a starting problem.

It starts fine when cold, but when it has warmed up and then sits for awhile, maybe a half hour or so, sometimes less, it will _occasionally_ be hard to start. It cranks just fine, but doesn't fire up like it used to do. It used to start within 1 second, rev up to 1200 rpm or so and fall back to normal idle speed. Now, I have to keep cranking for several seconds and then it slowly begins to run. It doesn't "miss" or stumble, it just eventually fires up and runs at normal idle speed.

This doesn't always happen, but it is more common when the weather is warm, around 80 - 90 degrees out.

Gas mileage (11 -12 mpg around town, 16 - 17 highway) and performance seem otherwise normal.

A review of my earlier posts will reveal that the tranny has been recently replaced and the intake manifold removed/replaced to fix an oil leak. The problem was first noticed a month after the tranny work.

Thanks in advance,

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Check the amperage draw on the starter, cold and hot

with the motor cold the compression is higher and will start easier.

Reply to
mathijs derks