ABS problem

I have a 95 Chevy Silverado 4wd since new with 340,000km on it now. Best machine I ever owned. Never had any problem, except for the wipers, which I fixed by soldering the cct board. Problem is, ABS comes on just before it comes to a stop, even on dry pavement and nearly every time. Pads,rotors,shoes and drums all real good shape , I replaced them not long ago. I bled the lines all 4 wheels, but still happens. Any suggestions? Also, any way I could just de-activate the ABS without it displaying on the instrument panel? I drove 35 years without ABS and don't care if it works or not.

Reply to
Griffith

Greetings,

Sounds like bad wheel sensors or electrical connectors.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Common problem, may be covered under a recall depending on which state you live in.

The problem occurs due to rust build up under the front wheel speed sensors, the rust has pushed one sensor further away from the tone ring than the other, this change in distance to the tone ring causes a change in signal amplitude, the system reads both sensor frequency and amplitude to determine wheel speed.

The fix is; Remove both front wheels, brake calipers and rotors, remove two of the wheel bearing attaching bolts that secure the inner splash shield in place, this allows access to the wheel speed sensor, remove the wheel speed sensor attaching bolt (4mm allen IIRC) and carefully remove the wheel speed sensor. Clean the area of the steering knuckle where the sensor mounts of all rust, I plug the hole in the knuckle with a plastic plug and sandblast with a speed blaster, but a wire wheel and/or a file will do the job also. (do NOT allow debris to fall into the sensor hole fouling the wheel bearing). Clean any rust that may be stuck to the wheel speed sensor. Apply a light coating of anti-seize to the sensor mounting area of the knuckle, re-install the wheel speed sensor making certain that it seats fully and squarely, re-install attaching bolt, re-install inner splash shield and torque bearing hub bolts to spec, (use blue loc-tite on the bearing hub bolts), re-install rotor and caliper, re-install wheel and tire.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Thanks aarcuda69062 , that fixed it! Very much appreciate your help.