ABS Warning Light, Pontiac Grand Prix GT 1999

My ABS warning light has been on for quite await, I know it is strictly electrical. Since I was going to get a complete brake job, I put worrying about it on hold.

Well I have the new brake job and it is still on. Do I have to reset the computer or something?

Thanks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Bulach

No, you have to "fix" the problem. Replacing brake pads/shoes and machining drums/rotors will have no effect on whatever problem is causing the ABS light to come on. You need to have it scanned for ABS codes, this will give you a "starting" point to diagnose the problem.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Exactly. Had you mentioned it the shop, and if they are equipped to get ABS codes (with their scanner), they would have gladly charged you and extra $40 to get the code(s). GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Does your Trac Off light come on also. The ABS and Trac Off light came on my 02 GP GT and it was the Front Hub. Once both had to be replaced and a year later only the left one had to be replaced.

Reply to
Matthew

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but the Trac off light often comes on when there is an ABS problem. Some vehicles use the ABS system to provide a part of the traction control scheme, so if the ABS system isn't working, the computer informs the driver that they will have no Traction Control either.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai