ABS problem (B5)

The ABS light on my '99 Passat went on with a beep and flashing instrument brake light. What's strange was this started happening after my wife heard a loud squealing noise from the rear passenger side wheel (with and without the brake), which went away after she stop and put the car in reverse.

The squeal never came back, but I changed the pads and rotors all around anyway (about time). I also checked the wiring on the ABS speed sensors and cleaned the front sensors.

Using VAG-COM, I couldn't connect to the ABS module (no response) but got this fault from the ECU:

18014 - Rough Road/Engine Torque Signal from ABS: Electrical Malfunction P1606 - 35-00 - -

Chances are it's the ABS module. Thoughts?

I'm thinking of sending the module to autoecu or modulemaster to get it rebuilt. Any advise/preferrence on which?

Thanks.

Reply to
googlelogue

Yep sounds like the ABS ECU.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

hi,

I've same problem in my Passat -98, but VAG-COM couldn't read anything out of the ABS system in my case. When the car is cold, in Finland mornings close to -10, the lights are not lightened. But, after a while when the temp have come up the both lights go on. A new ABS control box costs here about 680? which for me seems a little unreasonable.

-p

Reply to
peppe