advice

Looking to get my Father in law an air compressor / basic air tool set for christmas. General auto work is the idea. What should I be looking for as far as minimum psi, hp, etc?

TIA John

Reply to
John Ray

I'll second the Craftsman compressors. I have the upright, 30 gallon direct drive (oil-less), 150 psi, 6HP and love it. Runs around $269 and if you catch it on a Crafsman Club day you get an extra 10% off and a free toolkit (hose, impact, ratchet).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Air compressors, like motors, there's no replacement for displacement. I'd go with a 30 gallon tank as others mentioned. 10 gallon tank compressors constantly cycle. The Craftsman one Doc suggests would be a great starting place.

Big Chris

"Doc" wrote:

Reply to
Big Chris

If he is doing body work where an air sander might be running continuously he need at least 15 cfm @ 100 minimum. If he is useing an impact wrench non contiuous he can get away with a smaller one. I have a Craftsman 5 hp gas compressor that puts out 12cfm @ 90 psi and it's fine for impacts but not so good for continuous air grinding and sanding.

Reply to
Randd01

It all depends on what he wants to do with it. If it is a general air compressor, I would go with a 6hp,10cfm 20 gallon tank. If he wants to do some continuous work, ie sanding, blasting, air tools, etc I would go with more cfm and bigger tank. I bought a 6.5hp 60gallon tank, 23 cfm for $835 delivered. It ran a siphon blaster at 90psi for 4+ hours and did a wonderful job. Good luck, more cfm the better. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Christian