air bag light

Got a "new" 2000 Chevy Tahoe yesterday, test drives and drive home all was well... Took the wife to town, get some diner, pick up a few things, show it to the inlaws... The air bag light starts comming on and going off at random times, I am thinking there is sensors in the seats or seat belt system to tell the air bag system there is a passanger or not. am I on the right track or need to check something else out, or get to a higher power on air bags. The SUV will be used by myself mostly as a work truck, doing service calls on copiers. Any ideas???

Reply to
Craig M

There was a recall on the 2000 Tahoe series, notification to owners Aug

2002. Sensing Diagnostic module (SDM) on the Airbag system could result in failure. Worth taking in to have this done. I quote.." Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chevrolet at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC at 1-800-462-8782"
Reply to
Augustus

Is there something under the seat? Check the connections..??

Reply to
Bill

Is there a way to see if its been done, that was 6 years ago, the recall time will be over, and I would think it would have been done, was a gov owned vehicle at one time when it was new. Hope there is a way to find out, with out costing arm and leg, still wating on insurance settlement from wreck.

Reply to
Craig M

I think if it is a safety recall that was mandated by the government, there is no expiration date.

Reply to
two.dogs

First, is the "Service Air Bag" light or the Passenger Air Bag on/off light?

If the Service light, you need to get it looked at. If the Pass On/Off light, is the wife < 80lbs or so? It takes a certain amount of weight to trigger the passenger air bag. Also, need to make sure passenger (wife?) is sitting square in the seat, and not sideways. Try having someone heavier sit in the seat >120 lbs, and see if it still does it.

John

Reply to
John

Reply to
Craig M

If you know where the truck was serviced they can check there in their computer. Any Chev dealer can at least give you *some* info.

Reply to
ScottM