Remote starter causes air bag light to stay on

I just had an after market remote starter installed in my 2002 L200 Saturn. The unit is a Valet Remote Start System model 561r. When I use the remote start to start the care the air bag light stays on. If I shut the car off and start with the key the air bag light goes off. Did they hook something up wrong or forget to hook something up?

I've seen other such problems for other make/model cars posted in the newsgroups. Some said "ignition switch having more than one circuit, and your remote starter probably completes one of the circuits" and "probably didn't put a relay in for the ignition run circuit" or "need a special harness for tieing into the ingition harness since it all works of off pusle witdh modulation and grounds sometimes the remote start gets hooked up wrong and this can cause this issue". Any ideas what the issue could be for a Saturn?

Regards, Rich

Reply to
carverrn

Sounds like they forgot to connect the second accessory wire. Most GM vehicles have two ignition connections, usually things like air bags, body control modules, and other miscellanous electronics are on the second ignition. A few have second accessories, and on L-series cars the air bag light will stay on if the second accessory is not powered. They may not have known it had to be powered, since the wire also operates the stereo, which normally you do not power on remote start.

Anyway, you can tell them that they'll need to install a second accessory relay to power the brown accessory wire to get rid of the SRS light.

Reply to
Logan Parker

Thanks for your response. We took it back in and after a couple of hours they figured out what it was. I don't remember the details but it was something about not hooking something up.

Reply to
carverrn